Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2014 05:00

Guest level backup vs Image level

Hi Team

In my environment we have , oracle backups where oracle team is pushing db's using DD boost to DD and we are taking the backup of full VM as Image level backup , here whether the DE duplication will work as the destination is the same Data domain ?  , if not what is the best solution for DE duplication to work in this scenario

Regards

Srini

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

in both cases DDBoost and VM proxy backup, dedupe is done inline on the data domain.

Thanks , I still doubted but not sure again .. can u pls elaborate the answer pls ?

July 8th, 2014 06:00

Thanks

I understand about the DDboost with Oracle, but my scenario here is Oracle team is dumping the DB's using DDboost and and we are taking again a image file level backup ..but here how the deduplication will work as the Image level is in different format and a snapshot backup .. will the deduplication will work using this scenario as image level backup what we are taking do not contain the DATABASE Plugin and the backup what happened to destination it will not understand.. if I am wrong please let me know

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 8th, 2014 07:00

as far as oracle data in an image level backup, that data is crash consistent. Same as if somebody disconnected power from a running server, you may or may not be able to recover that database and you could also lose transactions. That's why using DDBoost/RMAN is the best option for application consistent backups. When you backup an entire VM, you take advantage of VMware change block tracking functionality (CBT) that tells VM proxy what blocks changed since the last backup. Then VM proxy starts talking to Data Domain using DDBoost and decides what is unique and needs to be sent over the wire. It has absolutely no knowledge what is running inside of your VM.

July 8th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for the helpful answer , before I end this chat with correct answer , small clarification needed don't mind.

1 . Oracle backups are getting dumped in the format of  * .bak

2. Image level backups in the format of vmdk without using Database plugin .

So, in this scenario DE duplication works right , as CBT is enabled and it will check what is got backed on DD and it will take other than that as an image backup , am I right ??

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 8th, 2014 08:00

i am not sure i follow you. Data Domain has global deduplication, if it identifies data as identical (regardless where it came from, what protocol was used to send it there), it will dedupe it.  CBT does not talk to Data Domain, VM proxy does (using DDBoost). I takes advantage of CBT to perform incremental backups

VMware KB: Changed Block Tracking (CBT) on virtual machines

No Events found!