Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2017 04:00

Hostname change

Me again,

So, my customer has had a requirement to change the hostname on one of their Avamar servers.

I tried to put them off but as we all know "the customer is always right" so.................................

Since making the change by following Tech document "Changing the IP and Hostname of Avamar systems" and am now unab[e to really do anything with the system.

All dpn commands are very very slow - unable to restart dpn, cplist just hangs, dpnctl start has been sat on Checking that GSAN was showdown cleanly for about an hour not doing anything. Can't get into MCS GUI

I believe the technical terminology is "FUBAR'd".

Anyone have any experience with this type of issue.

The hostname is showing the new hostname, mcserver.xml has been edited, mcclimcs.xml has ben edited, nodedb is showing new name, probe.xml is showing new name, restarted the server (Linux reboot), hosts is showing correct output - just not sure what else I need to do to get this back. Can't rollback as cplist not completeing and can't dpnctl start - just hangs!!!!!

Any feedback greatly appreciated

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 15th, 2017 03:00

You might want to confirm that the edit worked by doing a cplist

then check that if you do mapall --noerror 'ps -ef | grep -i gsan' there is actually nothing showing up.

If there is you might want to check if the process was from before you did the change or not.

You might have to rollback to the checkpoint you took before starting.

32 Posts

Thanks for replying,

I had edited all the relevant files bar the usersettings.cfg.

I have now made that change - run "dpnctl start" to restart all the processes but do not think it is going to work again - just sitting there at the moment.

Will update further if it changes.

Thanks again

Neil

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello Gecko

So you have only changed the name, have you looked at the name resolution?

You should make sure that on your avamar nodes the file /etc/resolv.conf match the new name and IP

I would also look at the /etc/hosts of each node.

Once you do that look at the file /usr/local/avamar/var/probe.xml as the hostname is defined in there

the entry look like so

and the name should match.

Finally and this is an important one check that the name match in /usr/local/avamar/etc/usersettings.cfg

example

--password=...........

--server=utilitynode-internal

--vardir=/usr/local/avamar/var

--bindir=/usr/local/avamar/bin

--id=root

--[avrepl]vardir="/data01/avamar/var/client"

it is very important that the --server be in phase with your new name

Let me know if it help.

No Events found!