Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2014 05:00

How avamar backups chooses network

Hi all,

if we register a client with avamar, how it picks up  the IP  to communicate with avamar server? production  or backup IP ?

Thanks

1.1K Posts

January 7th, 2014 21:00

When register a client, you are not required to input the IP of the client but the one of Avamar server. So if you have multiple IP on the client, the one through which you can reach the Avamar server is used by default.

62 Posts

January 8th, 2014 04:00

Hi kevin,

client has 2 ip's , production and backup , both are able to communicate with avamar , but how can we define only backups should run on backup ip ?

1.1K Posts

January 8th, 2014 17:00

The client IP used will always be the primary NIC (usually eth0). The only way the client name will use the other NIC is

"Add a route statement on the client, to force all traffic going to the Avamar to flow through eth1".

Please mark my answer as "correct/helpful" if it helps.

62 Posts

January 9th, 2014 06:00

How about below options :

1) adding backup ip DNS name in avtar.cmd on client side ?

2) Edit client paging settings and give backup ip/backup ip dns name there ?

That would work ?

1.1K Posts

January 9th, 2014 17:00

yes, you could give it a try.

62 Posts

January 10th, 2014 11:00

Editing avtar.cmd with name, just showing that name in GUI..nothing much..

So in avamar,there is no way we can define backups to run on backup interface ?

1.1K Posts

January 12th, 2014 17:00

Like I said, "Add a route statement on the client, to force all traffic going to the Avamar to flow through eth1".

For example, on windows issue "route add" command to edit the local route table on the client.

82 Posts

January 12th, 2014 22:00

Well, the best way is to Edit Client Page settings and specify IP explicitly. That would do.

March 4th, 2014 13:00

I've been asking the same question of EMC for quite some time now, and I have yet to receive a good answer.  I've got Avamar working on the production network, and I've been told that I have to move it to a backup VLAN.  Eventually, the Avamar grid will not have any connectivity to the production VLAN, so the Avamar grid will not have any connectivity to the production DNS.  Besides the production IPs won't be of any use.

In my scenario, the only solution that I can think of is to stand up a dedicated "backup DNS" that has the same hostname used in production but with the backup IP.  The Avamar grid will be pointed to the backup DNS.  When a client goes to activate on the Avamar grid, the Avamar will resolve the host name to the backup IP, and the client should register.  Backups will be forced to use the backup IP because that is the only way that client and Avamar grid can communicate.

It's a major pain because the backup DNS will have to be maintained manually: i.e. every server added to the backup network will have to be manually added to the backup DNS.  In addition, we've been told that the DNS needs to have reverse lookup enabled for all of the Avamar functionality working properly.  I don't necessarily believe it, but we had a SR open, and we were told that Avamar Extended Retention (AER) was broken because reverse lookup wasn't working.

No Events found!