Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2012 15:00

How to restore files and folders from an Agent less backup?

I have to restore files and folders from a VM backup that is backed up at image level using Avamar Proxy.  This is a Damn Small Linux VM.  Is it all based on the plug-in I covered while backing it up?  When I tried to check the restore tab, I can only see at the disk level, nothing at the folder level.  I enclosed a bit map.

1 Attachment

307 Posts

November 9th, 2012 07:00

Hi Siva,

You can use mccli backup restore command to perform redirected restore of selected folders or files to a different virtual machine.

Plugin ID for Linux VMware file level restore is 1019 and for Linux VMware Image, its 1016

307 Posts

November 7th, 2012 05:00

Hi Siva,

Just wanted to make sure, you clicked the 'Browse for Granular restore' button, right ?

November 7th, 2012 07:00

I am not sure about that button.  Could you tell me where I can find it?  If possible please send a picture.

307 Posts

November 7th, 2012 07:00

The button is located directly above the contents pane of the backup in 'Select for Restore' Window.

Please refer to Page 89 on this document :

https://support.emc.com/docu39192_Avamar-6.1-for-VMware-User-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

498 Posts

November 7th, 2012 09:00

I just want to note that your Linux server has to be configured in the list of allowed types that would let you do a File Level restore.

Some configurations will not allow you to do a File Leve restore.

File-level restore limitations

The following limitations apply to file-level restore as described in “Restoring specific

folders or files” on page 86:

The following virtual disk configurations are not supported:

• Unformatted disks

• Dynamic disks

• GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks

• Ext4 filesystems

• FAT16 filesystems

• FAT32 filesystems

• Extended partitions (that is, any virtual disk with more than one partition or when two or more virtual disks are mapped to single partition)

• Encrypted partitions

• Compressed partitions

Symbolic links cannot be restored or browsed

You cannot restore more than 5,000 folders or files in the same restore operation

The following limitations apply to logical volumes managed by Logical Volume Manager (LVM):

• One Physical Volume (.vmdk) must be mapped to exactly one logical volume

• Only ext2 and ext3 formatting is supported

November 9th, 2012 05:00

Yes, Sudeep!  I never saw that button before.  How can we do this functionality using mccli.  In the mcli programming guide page# 44 there is an example.  I think this will help me?

The following example restores selected folders and files to a different existing virtual

machine:

mccli backup restore --name=/Test/Test1 --labelNum=1 --plugin=3019

--restore-vm-to=flr --dest-client-name=Test5

--dest-client-domain=/Test/Test1

--dest-client-username=Administrator --data=C:\\1.log

--dest-dir=C:\\ --dest-client-password=abcdefgh

What are the plugins numbers to use for a Linux file level restore for file level and image level restore?

November 9th, 2012 05:00

Thanks J.H for the infomation.  Good to know those limitation before than breaking my head later.

498 Posts

November 9th, 2012 12:00

glad you got it to work,  none of my linux boxes can do a FLR.

November 9th, 2012 16:00

Not there yet, still trying..  track it here... https://community.emc.com/thread/165325?tstart=0

March 21st, 2013 04:00

Hello everybody

When I am trying to do Granular Restore from a Linux Image Level backup, I am getting an error "Extended Partitions are not Allowed". Can Anybody help me on this.

Restore error.png

143 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 20:00

What is the filesystem on the disk you are trying to restore from?  Does it contain only one partition or multiple partitions?  On the surface, this sounds like a documented limitation (see post 4 above or the docs on support.emc.com).

498 Posts

March 26th, 2013 10:00

you hit the same problem I have.  I cannot restore my Linux VM at the FLR level.

I have to backup the Linux VM's as vm's once a week just so I can restore the whole thing if needed ( with a short retention)

then I have to back them up as physical servers by installing the Avamar client on them, and doing a normal client backup.

No Events found!