Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2015 06:00

How to stop exceptions when directory does not exist on client

Hi

I have a problem where we need to setup 7 x clients to backup /db2/[DB]/archive. [DB] changes on each client.

Rather than setup 7 x groups with similar datasets, we setup one group with same dataset (7 x paths), but this is causing exceptiuons when Avamar cant find the folder on the client.  Is there any way to prevent this from happening or do I need to create seperate datasets / groups?

January 22nd, 2015 08:00

We ran across this issue in our organization. We created a logon script that created the folder structure on each user's computer. This results in a lot empty folders, but is very simple to implement.

498 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 13:00

have you tried using exclude + include with wild carding

I have not had to do this but this is my thought that you could test with

--exclude=/db2/*     <-exclude everything below

--include=/db2/*/archive   <- include any archive dir that you find on the third level 

or

--include=/db2/**/archive

one * would be you would only get the archive dir at that level

two * would be you would get any archive dir under db2

2K Posts

January 22nd, 2015 14:00

Adding the advanced flag --x18=256 to the dataset this will downgrade the severity of the "path not found" message so it no longer causes the backup to complete with exceptions.

If you're not familiar with how to add advanced flags, you can find more information in the following post:

Re: Change timeout on Avamar pre and post script processing

My colleague Amol included a screenshot showing how to set advanced flags in the following thread:

Re: Error 10007 when backing up VMs

I think the posts above most clearly explain how to set advanced flags but I've also mentioned how to do it in a few other posts:

Re: Throttling Proxy Backups

Re: VSS backs up all volumes

No Events found!