Dileep451
2 Iron

Image backup---- File level restore.

Hello Team,

I am not able to see the mount points in a image backup when i tried to do a file level restore(wen clicked folders). So i did a very hard way to restore a single file(restored the entire VM and powered on with different name and IP an transferred the files).

Is there a way I can restore a file from the mount points for a linux server .

Any comments?

Regards,

Dileep M

0 Kudos
12 Replies
umichklewis
3 Zinc

Re: Image backup---- File level restore.

Do you mean you don't see files and folder structure when you try to browse?  We've encountered issues like after changing the root password on the proxies.  Additional steps were needed to get the passwords updated before we could browse the images.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

hopefully those mount points are not NFS, because by default NFS is ignored.

0 Kudos
J_H_
3 Silver

Not all file systems types allow a FLR of a LINUX VM.  (look it up on the EMC website for or manuals for the FS types supported for  FLR)

most of mine did not allow a FLR until I got to Avamar version 7.2

and still some of mine do not.

I have to backup my Linux VM's as a vm once a week (just so we can recreate the VM)

and Daily as a physical server (meaning I install Avamar on the client and register it as a physical)  this then allows me to do a single file restore.

0 Kudos
Dileep451
2 Iron

yes, I am not able to see the folder structure. But in my case passwords are default.

0 Kudos
Dileep451
2 Iron

I agree. NFS mounts are ignore in the guest backup. Here it is VM image backup and i am able to see the same folder when i restored the entire VM with different name and NIC's powered down.

0 Kudos
Dileep451
2 Iron

We are using Avamar 7.2 and the linux version is linux 5.7

We have nearly 3000+ servers having Image backup , not sure if it would be recommended to have guest because of the workload impact on the ESX host.

0 Kudos
J_H_
3 Silver

So are you saying you cannot browse and see anything?

Or you can browse but cannot see what you are looking for?

Judy Hinchcliffe

Sent from my Phone

0 Kudos
Dileep451
2 Iron

I am able to browse all the other folders and files Except the mount point . However I was able to see the same when I restored the entire VM.

0 Kudos
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

If you have Data Domain on the back-end, you could try Instant Access. This would save you writing all the data out to a production datastore just to pick up a few files.

0 Kudos