Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 14th, 2017 00:00

Lost vCenter connection caues new CBT full base backup

Hi all,

We are seeing some behaviour where Avamar(7.3.1-125) runs a full base backup after lost connection with vCenter. The customer had to change certificate on the vCenter server and in this process needed to reboot the vCenter server. For some reason this change of certificate has gone wrong a couple of times and vCenter has defaulted back to the old certificate. Every time they had to reboot the vCenter server it looks like Avamar needs to run a new "full base backup"

In below screendump you can see that the backup of 8.5 TB usually takes about 20 - 25 minutes. But after the vCenter har been rebooted the "Running" has been running for about 16 hours. The progress bytes is also 11 TB even though no new data has been added to the specific client. Anyway the progress bytes usually corrects itself when the backup is done so I don't worry about that to much.

Is CBT resat when a vCenter is rebooted or does Avamar lose track for CBT when it looses it's connection to vCenter?

I'm not quite sure how to explain this but hopefully somebody knows?

2017-12-14_09-14-17.png

December 14th, 2017 00:00

Hi,

CBT information should not be reset if Avamar loses connection with vcenter or if vcenter is rebooted.

What is the version of ESXi and vCenter you are running?

One wild guess is the unique id of vcenter server changing?

Also I would recommend opening a case with both VMware and Avamar teams to investigate this

Regards

Raghav

153 Posts

December 14th, 2017 01:00

Hi,

vCenter v. 6.0.0 Build-3634793

ESXi v. 6.0 Build-5572656

Have a gone through the Avamar logs from both before and after the reboot of vCenter and cannot seem to find vCenter unique id. I will try to see if I can find it somewhere inside VMWare and if it has changed.

I found hostname on the ESXi host that runs the specific VM and the SSL ID has not changed on that host.

No Events found!