Highlighted
wryokom
1 Nickel

Problems with Avamar agent on Oracle Linux

Jump to solution

I am running Avamar 7.1.1-145 in an environment where I have several new Oracle Linux 7.1 servers.  Since Oracle Linux is just a custom build of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, I copied over and installed the Red Hat Linux agent from my Administrator server.  It installed via rpm and registered fine, and I can do automated backups.  However, when I try to do a restore or a selective backup, I can't browse the file system so I can't do either of these.  Also, when I try to view the agent status on the server, I get odd messages from systemctl.  For example:

command> service avagent status

Getting status of avagent (via systemctl):  Job for avagent.service failed. See 'systemctl status avagent.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.  [FAILED]

command> systemctl status avagent.service

avagent.service - LSB: avagent

Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/avagent)

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2015-11-17 14:37:23 MST; 28s ago

Process: 2398 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/avagent start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 17 14:37:23 doc-efomsdr01.doc.state.co.us avagent[2398]: [52B blob data]

Nov 17 14:37:23 doc-efomsdr01.doc.state.co.us systemd[1]: avagent.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1

Nov 17 14:37:23 doc-efomsdr01.doc.state.co.us systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: avagent.

Nov 17 14:37:23 doc-efomsdr01.doc.state.co.us systemd[1]: Unit avagent.service entered failed state.

command> service avagent stop

Stopping avagent (via systemctl):                          [  OK  ]

command> service avagent start

Starting avagent (via systemctl):  Job for avagent.service failed. See 'systemctl status avagent.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

[FAILED]

The log for avagent doesn't even show it ever was asked to stop or start, so I have found no way on these servers to control the agent, short of killing it and then reinstalling it just to get it to run again.  Have I missed something?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ionthegeek
4 Ruthenium

Re: Problems with Avamar agent on Oracle Linux

Jump to solution

I haven't heard of an issue like this before. I would recommend working with support.

0 Kudos
J_H_
3 Zinc

Re: Problems with Avamar agent on Oracle Linux

Jump to solution

verify you installed the correct Avamar - when I had Oracle Linux and normal Linux I had to use either the rhel4  or the sles11  (we got rid of our Oracle vm)  but I think it was sles11.

look at the /etc/issue file

and use the avamar file that matches

0 Kudos