Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2015 07:00

Root-to-Root Migration & Data Domains

A hopefully quick question for you guys...

Root-to-root migration between two Avamar systems is pretty straight forward, but what happens when there's a Data Domain involved? The DD integration doc I have says they support root-to-root but the they're not covered in the Root-to-Root Technical Note.

Do you configure the destination Avamar with the DD like you normally would, then run the replication command to replicate the Avamar and DD data? Or do you have to do a collection replication on the DD in addition to the root-to-root command? If it's the latter, when do you integrate the new DD and Avamar?

Thanks!

355 Posts

May 8th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Please go through Replication section of below guide, It should be helpful -

https://support.emc.com/docu53942_Avamar-7.1-and-Data-Domain-System-Integration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Regards,

Pawan

2K Posts

May 14th, 2015 12:00

The short answer is that you just need to configure the DD on the target as normal before running the root-to-root -- there's no need to use native DD replication. There's more information in the document pawankumawat posted.

91 Posts

May 15th, 2015 07:00

I'm familiar with the doc, as referenced above, I just don't see where the doc specifically details root-to-root requirements.

Thanks for the information!

2K Posts

May 15th, 2015 08:00

I find people tend to get really hung up on the differences between root-to-root and root-to-REPLICATE and it's really not something to get hung up on. Don't get me wrong, there are major operational differences but the technical differences between root-to-root and root-to-REPLICATE are actually pretty small. The replication mechanism is exactly the same, it's just that you're replicating / => / instead of / => /REPLICATE/DPNNAME.

Obviously there are some pretty serious implications for replicating the data into the root domain (especially around the system accounts such as /MC_BACKUPS) so you do have to be careful but the mechanics of the replication itself are identical.

No Events found!