Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2012 02:00

Upgrading Avamar proxy software for VMWare

Hello all,

Probably a silly question...

If I understood the upgrade procedure for the VMWare proxy for Avamar 6.1 correctly, we have to:

1. mount the ISO "AvamarCombinedProxy-linux-x86-VERSION.iso" in the VM

2. wait until no backups are running on the proxy + max 30 min.

3. make sure no backup are running on the proxy and reboot

But, how do we know that the upgrade actually took place ?

Is there a way to connect to the proxy in a shell (with which user/password) ? I tried root, admin and dpn but to no avail...

Any comment welcome.

Thanks in advance

2K Posts

July 20th, 2012 06:00

The proxy checks for the ISO when it boots and once every 15 minutes after that so you can either reboot the proxy or wait; you don't need to do both.

The easiest way to check what version of the client is running on the proxy is using the Avamar Administrator GUI. Select the Policy panel. Under the Policy Management tab, select the Clients tab. In the tree on the left, select the domain where your proxies are registered (or select the root domain and check the "Show sub-domain clients" checkbox to show them all). On the right, you will see information about the clients including name, activation status, and the version of the client software that is running. Find your proxy clients in the list and you should be all set.

53 Posts

July 20th, 2012 07:00

Hi Calyce,

Also, you can access in one browser, at proxy. Just typing https://x.x.x.x:5480

the user is root and the pass is avamar name with the third "a" as @

I am in this process to install prxy´s, if I can help you, just let me a message

When I mounted the ISO, i wait for 15 mins and I see the instalation was succesfully, I think the problem is, because no message is swown when the process is complete.  After wait for 15 minutes I dismounted the ISO, and I started a restore, with this proxy, and was successfully.

P.S. I  have not reebot yet and I have completed 6 restore. 

Regards.

2K Posts

July 20th, 2012 10:00

fdxpilot wrote:

are there any plans to support using VMware Update Manager to upgrade/update the proxies?  It would make a lot of sense to plug in to this standard VMware update tool instead of rolling your own "mount an ISO and wait" approach

I'm not aware of any plans to do this but it sounds like another very good RFE (You're up to what... three? four now?). I would recommend submitting that through PowerLink as well.

143 Posts

July 20th, 2012 10:00

Now that the VMware Image Backup/FLR proxy is a virtual appliance, are there any plans to support using VMware Update Manager to upgrade/update the proxies?  It would make a lot of sense to plug in to this standard VMware update tool instead of rolling your own "mount an ISO and wait" approach, especially for large environments where proxies are in multiple clusters and can't all see a common datastore to mount an ISO.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2012 00:00

Many thanks to all of you for your replies

2 Posts

October 31st, 2013 03:00

Can you do this way of upgrading also for upgrading Avamar Proxy 5.0.105-169 to Avamar Proxy 6.1.100-402? If not, what is the best way to upgrade to 6.1.100-402?

2K Posts

October 31st, 2013 10:00

The proxy architecture changed between Avamar 6.0 and Avamar 6.1 so you cannot upgrade a proxy running Avamar 6.0 or older to Avamar 6.1 or newer. You will need to deploy new Avamar 6.1 proxies to replace your Avamar 5 proxies.

There are some known issues with Avamar 6.1.0-402 / 6.1.100-402. I would recommend upgrading your system to the latest 6.1 service pack (currently 6.1.2-47 / 6.1.102-47).

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

June 4th, 2019 09:00

Hi, i have the 6.1.102-47 version in my proxies, I can upgrade to 7.4 .101-58 version?

No Events found!