Bob_Gries
1 Copper

What happens when the Utility Node fails?

Jump to solution

Greetings all.

I have a "what happens" question.  What happens to the backup environment when the Utility Node fails?

The what to do is simple: Open up a ticket with support to get it looked at or replaced.

Specifically, my questions are...

When the Utility node fails?

Do scheduled backups still run?  (Assuming no)

Do on-demand backups, executed though the client work?

Does replication come to a screeching halt?

Can a spare node fill in as a utility node until the real utility node arrives?

Is this information documented someplace?  If so, can you point me to where?  I've been spending the last couple of days looking for these answers.

Thank you everyone for your time and thought cycles on this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

Re: What happens when the Utility Node fails?

Jump to solution

No.

If by "executed through the client" you mean something like Right-click => Backup Now, this will fail because the client will be unable to request a workorder from the Avamar Administrator Server on the utility node. Clients that bypass the Avamar Administrator Server and perform direct backups to the GSAN (e.g. Oracle RMAN) will continue to work.

Replication runs on the source utility node, so if this node goes down, replication will halt. If the destination utility node goes down, replication will continue uninterrupted because the destination utility node is only involved in the initial connection. If replication has run between the two systems before, the replicator will bypass the destination utility node and contact the destination storage node(s) directly.

Technically yes but we normally only use this option if there is an unusually long turnaround on the replacement utility node. Utility node failures are relatively rare and replacement hardware is normally on-site faster than you could complete a utility node rebuild to the spare anyway.

Rebuilding a utility node takes substantial time and effort and it's not something you want to do twice if you can avoid it. If the RAID set from the utility node is intact, a chassis swap is a much faster and less error-prone option.

Is this information documented someplace?  If so, can you point me to where?  I've been spending the last couple of days looking for these answers.

I'll review the guides and get back to you.

2 Replies
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

No.

If by "executed through the client" you mean something like Right-click => Backup Now, this will fail because the client will be unable to request a workorder from the Avamar Administrator Server on the utility node. Clients that bypass the Avamar Administrator Server and perform direct backups to the GSAN (e.g. Oracle RMAN) will continue to work.

Replication runs on the source utility node, so if this node goes down, replication will halt. If the destination utility node goes down, replication will continue uninterrupted because the destination utility node is only involved in the initial connection. If replication has run between the two systems before, the replicator will bypass the destination utility node and contact the destination storage node(s) directly.

Technically yes but we normally only use this option if there is an unusually long turnaround on the replacement utility node. Utility node failures are relatively rare and replacement hardware is normally on-site faster than you could complete a utility node rebuild to the spare anyway.

Rebuilding a utility node takes substantial time and effort and it's not something you want to do twice if you can avoid it. If the RAID set from the utility node is intact, a chassis swap is a much faster and less error-prone option.

I'll review the guides and get back to you.

ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

I reviewed the customer-facing documentation and I did not find this information in any of these docs.

0 Kudos