Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2011 12:00

im getting a error 10020 on sql backups

I am getting the same error on all my sql backups.  They are completing but i  get a error code 10020.  what does this mean

50 Posts

OK...this needs a little digging. Probably the logs are not getting transferred if you have ensured that the data is restorable. I'd suggest logging an SR with EMC support if no one else has anything to add.

ok, will do.  thank you for your help

50 Posts

Did you happen to check the details ?  Does it give some more info ?

in the logs it says unable to transfer

31 Posts

April 6th, 2012 08:00

Just curious if you ever received any udpated information on the 10020 erros.  We are recieving the same error on one of our SQL server and in the logs we are also seeing Error 6810 Unable to perform transfer.

April 9th, 2012 07:00

Ok, thanks.

I'm receiving the same 10020 error on one of my SQL servers as well.  Any feedback on this particular error?

2K Posts

Unfortunately 10020 and 6810 are both general error codes. I would recommend opening a service request (SR). To speed up troubleshooting, I would recommend zipping up the contents of the Avamar var directory (C:\Program Files\avs\var by default) excluding any f_cache.dat, p_cache.dat and SystemState.bkf files and attaching the zip to the SR.

31 Posts

April 13th, 2012 05:00

Just to provide a little more information and ask a few additional questions.

1. Many of our servers have databases that are both SIMPLE and FULL.  Within the Dataset on the SQL Plugin we have it set to Force Incremental Backup.  It seems that a lot of the warning in the log is that this cannot be performed against databases that are set to SIMPLE.  If any given server has both SIMPLE and FULL, and you want to perform these transaction log backups by selecting "Force Incremental Backup", how do you prevent the job from "Completing with Exceptions" due to the SIMPLE databases?
  2. The other thing we are seeing a lot of is as follows.  Can anyone provide some info on what this means?

2012-04-12 20:16:53 avtar Warning <8456>: Exclude pattern "e:\csdata\monitoringstore\(default)\logpath\qoemetrics.ldf" is superfluous because it does not match any backup paths; ignored.

Thanks

2K Posts

April 17th, 2012 07:00

kclebak wrote:

Just to provide a little more information and ask a few additional questions.

1. Many of our servers have databases that are both SIMPLE and FULL.  Within the Dataset on the SQL Plugin we have it set to Force Incremental Backup.  It seems that a lot of the warning in the log is that this cannot be performed against databases that are set to SIMPLE.  If any given server has both SIMPLE and FULL, and you want to perform these transaction log backups by selecting "Force Incremental Backup", how do you prevent the job from "Completing with Exceptions" due to the SIMPLE databases?

I know you're not going to like this answer but for now, you could create separate datasets or change the logging mode on the SQL side. Starting in Avamar 6.1, databases in SIMPLE recovery mode will be skipped for logfile-only backups.

1. The other thing we are seeing a lot of is as follows.  Can anyone provide some info on what this means?

2012-04-12 20:16:53 avtar Warning <8456>: Exclude pattern "e:\csdata\monitoringstore\(default)\logpath\qoemetrics.ldf" is superfluous because it does not match any backup paths; ignored.

This message will appear if there is an exclude pattern for a path that is not configured to be backed up. For example, if the dataset is set to back up all local volumes and there is also an exclude in the dataset for d:\Temp, this message will be reported in the log for any system that does not have a D drive.

2K Posts

April 17th, 2012 08:00

For item 2, I'm sure this backup is restorable as long as that was the only warning or error in the logs. The message is just a warning to tell you that your dataset may be incorrect, it won't affect the recoverability of the backup.

The default is to back up all databases from the client.

If you're able to browse this client, could you check if the "qoemetrics" database exists? It will be in the (default) instance if it's there.

2K Posts

kclebak wrote:

In reference to Item 1.  If I were to create seperate datasets, would I need to browse to the client(s) and manually select the databases that would be applicable to that dataset (e.g. Full or Simple database)?

In reference to Item 2.   You are correct that the dataset is set to backup all local volumes.  I have attached a photo of the exclusions that are applicable to this dataset.  Based on the exclusions, I do not understand why the example above would be listed.

windows 2008 dataset exclusions.JPG

1. You would have to browse the clients and manually select the databases, yes. It's not an ideal solution but if there are a small number of clients, it can be done.
  2. The file system scenario I gave was just an example. This will happen any time there is an exclusion in the workorder (not necessarily the dataset -- some exclusions are generated by the software on the fly) and that path is not in the backup target list. This looks like an exclusion that was automatically generated by the SQL plugin. Is the "qoemetrics" database configured to be backed up?

31 Posts

Thank you for clarifying everything for item 1.

For item 2, and hopefully this wasn't an oversight on my part, but what I have been doing is the following:

• Create Dataset
  • Create Schedule
  • Create Retention
  • Create Group and assign Dataset, Schedule and Retention
  • Add Client to Group

So I have never gone and manually selected any databases as I assumed that be default it would backup all databases found on the client.

Attached is a screenshot of restore options from last nights SQL Backup for this specific client.  The screenshot leads me to believe that it was succesfully backed up.

lyncmadb1 restore options.JPG

31 Posts

In reference to Item 1.  If I were to create seperate datasets, would I need to browse to the client(s) and manually select the databases that would be applicable to that dataset (e.g. Full or Simple database)?

In reference to Item 2.   You are correct that the dataset is set to backup all local volumes.  I have attached a photo of the exclusions that are applicable to this dataset.  Based on the exclusions, I do not understand why the example above would be listed.

windows 2008 dataset exclusions.JPG

31 Posts

April 17th, 2012 10:00

Since we will be reviewing all nightly backups that are not listed as "Completed", the goal would be to prevent this from happening.  This database does exist so I would be curious to know why it is automatically adding it to an exclusion list, especially if it seems like it is being backed up.

No Events found!