Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2018 02:00

re-running Avamar Vmware backups

Avamar 7.4 with Data Domain...

I run two vmware backup groups every night.

Both groups backups around 300 VM's

If there are issues with some VM's, can avamar perform a re-run of a backup via CLI or is the only option, on-demand backups which are manual ??

A restart option would be ideal!

47 Posts

January 17th, 2018 06:00

within the backup group policy we are backing up a mix of containerclients as well as virtualmachines. If this backup group backs up 120 VMs in total but some fail, I want to be able to understand if Avamar can restart only the failed ones??

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 17th, 2018 06:00

are you backing up VM conainers, meaning in Avamar you select to backup a folder in vCenter and it automatically backs up all VMs within it.  If yes, this is what we use to re-run individual VMs

mccli client backup-dataset --contained-vm-name=vcenterfolder --dataset=MyCompany_VMware --name=VM_Name

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 17th, 2018 20:00

command i provided above will backup individual container VMs.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2018 04:00

There is no automated process like there is in networker to auto rerun backups as I have looked for this myself. I also found splitting out backups into specific groups and running at certain times helps with failures. Avamar is usually pretty good with backups running successfully. These are a few things I found at some sites on issues to get consistent 100%.

1.      Make sure that your backups are using hotadd. So check if you have different esxi clusters but spreading the load across multiple proxies but data stores only being provisioned to certain hosts.

2.      If you get quisce issues there are certain versions of the vmware tools that have problems after servers are rebooted for patching.

3.      Also check that someone isn’t importing clients that are automatically added to containerclients to virtualmachines and running backup twice and getting quisce conficts. This can be random as some start at different times and only sometimes conflict.

You would be surprised what I have seen people do with Avamar.

As for rerunning you could wrap a script around a few commands.

mccli activity show

or be more specific

mccli activity show --domain=/vCenter/VirtualMachines

mccli activity show --domain=/vCenter/ContainerClients

You will probably need to grep using dates and then awk certain fields to the send the failed to.

EDIT:- Command dynamox provided is the correct one.

No Events found!