Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2016 02:00

Help with IO Aggregators

Hi All,

We are having issues understanding how to use Dell I/O Aggregator cos until now we were using Cisco Switches for all our networking needs and the documents were pertaining to it. Now i have been tasked to figure out something on which i have very limited knowledge Blades and Networks :emotion-10:

I tried reading many manuals, guides, reference architecture etc...but still not sure if i have got the concepts clear...hence need your expert guidance.

Recently we purchased 4 new M1000e enclosures  with Dell M I/O Aggregator below is the short BOM for a Enclosure:

1. 4 M I/O Aggregators-A1,B1,A2,B2
  2. 2 Brocade 4424-C1,C2
  3. 8x 4 port 10GBASE-T Module (2 in each I/O Aggregator)

We have total 3 legged network:

• Production
  • Management
  • Backup

So according to my limited understanding of I/O Aggregators we are planning to do following with the I/O Aggregators:

1. I/O Aggregator A1 and A2 will have uplink from Port 49-56 to TOR-Production Switches SW1 and SW2
    1. Basically 4 Cat6e cables from A1 Port 49-56 will connect to SW1 and another set of 4 Cat6e cables from A2 Port 49-56 will connect to SW2
    2. All the Prod VLANS will be published on above ports
    3. As well as LACP will be configured
  2. Similar to above I/O Aggregator B1 and B2 will have uplink from IO Module 1 Port 49-50 and IO Module 2 Port 49-50 to TOR-Backup and Management Switches
    1. Basically for Management Network, 2 Cat6e from B1 IO Module 1 Port 49-50 will connect SW1(Mgmt) and another set of 2 Cat6e cables from B2 IO Module 1 Port 49-50 will connect to SW2(Mgmt)
    2. For Backup Network,2 Cat6e from B1 IO Module 2 Port 49-50 will connect SW1(Backup) and another set of 2 Cat6e cables from B2 IO Module 2 Port 49-50 will connect to SW2(Backup)
    3. All the Managment and Backup VLANS will be published on above ports
    4. As well as LACP will be configured

I have following queries about my above setup:

1. Is above correct?
  2. Do i need to worry about Internal port requirements?
  3. How many Network cards will i need per blade?
  4. Having 4 Cables connecting to Prod switch makes sense as well as will it be 40Gbps?
  5. Please while answering above please also consider i have FC Switch as well ?

Thanks in advance for all your help :emotion-1:

2 Posts

May 28th, 2016 10:00

Hi All,

Please guide...Thanks

No Events found!