Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2012 14:00

M1000e Midplane error on M620.

I recently added a few M620's to a few of my chassis that previously only had m710HD's one of my chassis gave this error in the CMC on this server 

" Component performance can improve if it is installed in another chassis that has a newer midplane, or if the current chassis is upgraded; the current chassis has midplane version 1.0. "

My only question is the Midplane version a hardware piece or software version?  Thanks.

272 Posts

September 28th, 2012 08:00

Hi Alfizqui,

Thanks for posting on Dell TechCenter.  Yes you are correct, the midplane is hardware that is part of the M1000e chassis.  Here's a clarification on your question from Dell Product group (I also work for Dell).

"The current midplane you have will work great.  The error message is basically there to tell you that Fabric A, your on-board NICS or Select Network Adaptor, could run at 10Gb Ethernet if you have the 1.1 midplane.  But you can still run at 1Gb like on the 1.0 midplane.

The 1.1 midplane did upgrade Fabric A to speeds higher than 1Gb.  That was the major revision to that midplane but newer blades work great on the older midplane.

You can also upgrade your midplane if you choose via a Dell customer kit.  Obviously it’s a pretty big change so usually Dell just recommends getting a new chassis as likely you’re getting new servers and switches (10GbE instead of 1GbE) anyway and then using the older chassis for the previous servers."

2 Posts

September 26th, 2012 10:00

I am having the same issue here and I believe this is hardware related.

Take a look at page 49 here:

www.manualowl.com/.../189301

I have another chassis that has the newer Midplane (v 1.1.) and doesn't give me the Midplane update warning.

I am not sure if this is an upgradeable piece of hardware for my  older M1000e or if using the old Midplane affects performance.  Anyone?

2 Posts

September 28th, 2012 10:00

Thanks Peter. That answers my question.

6 Posts

September 28th, 2012 12:00

Thank you both very much.

10 Posts

January 15th, 2013 11:00

So how do you upgrade the midplane to 1.1? I'm not finding anything about the different version or how to upgrade.

180 Posts

January 15th, 2013 13:00

The customer kit for the 1.1 midplane includes removing the 1.0 midplane and then, installing the enhanced 1.1 midplane. It can be done with the customer kit as Peter has mentioned. All shipping M1000e enclosures include the enhance midplane v1.1. Hope that helps.

10 Posts

January 15th, 2013 18:00

Ah I didn't get that it was a hardware replacement. Thanks

November 22nd, 2015 06:00

Hi Peter,

I have the same problem, dell chassis with midplane 1.0 and one m60 blade, i added one m620 blade with 10G on-board NIC which did not work at all with fabric A.

Dell server support said that midplane 1.0 does not support 10G ethernet on Fabric A and we should install a new NIC on Fabric B or C.

I have this question: if midplane 1.0 does not support 10G ethernet on Fabric A, Why it does not work at least as 1G instead?

Thanks.

No Events found!