Server specs:
Latest BIOS on all 4 nodes
c6100 xs23-ty3
192GB ram
12 1TB drives
Y8Y69 mezzanine card in each node
pci-e dual gig nic in each expansion slot
dual 750W PS (green lights on both)

So nodes 1, 2 and 3 have ESX on them and are up and running wonderfully.  Node 4 was left as spare and was to be outfit with drives on the fly in the data center but it was tested and booting / posting properly.  Working with the local support in the data center we had them put three drives in node 4 and power it up.  When they hit the power button for node 4 we noticed node 2 become unavailable in vSphere. 

Connected to all 4 nodes through a remote KVM we noticed node 2 did in fact reboot.  In summary,  pressing the power button for node 4 is causing node 2 to reboot.  This may be random and have not been able to confirm that only node 2 is subject to reboot...it could be any node.

***NODE 4 was booting and posting fine....obviously to a "NO OS" screen.  We will probably migrate to another physical server and bring this one in for service but any comments are greatly appreciated.***

• 

6.2K Posts

December 31st, 2014 13:00

Hello

To troubleshoot this issue I would suggest that you start with finding out what is initiating the restart. Check the OS, hardware, controller, and any other logs available to see if you can find out where the issue is happening. This will help to narrow down the possible causes of the issue.

My first guess would be that this is a power issue. When you first turn a server on it pulls a lot of power, so it may interrupt the power to another server. After a few seconds the power load will drop and allow the other server to come back online.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2015 16:00

Now that server did come with two 750w power supplies.  Is this adequate?  The other c6100 that will be taking over the vm's has two 1100w power supplies.

I don't know. I show nothing to indicate that you cannot run 4 nodes with 750w PSUs. Whether or not you can run 4 nodes at once will depend on how much power the nodes are using and what your power settings on the chassis are configured to. You can set options that will limit the available power to the nodes.

Thanks

January 2nd, 2015 16:00

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on what might be causing this.  I definitely agree its a power issue considering the nodes do share the power supplies.  Now that server did come with two 750w power supplies.  Is this adequate?  The other c6100 that will be taking over the vm's has two 1100w power supplies.

I will check the logs this evening and report back.  Thanks again.

No Events found!