Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2014 04:00

CX3-20 Unowned LUN problem

Hello,

I've had 2 disks fail in a RAID5 LUN, it looks like the hot spare hasn't kicked for whatever reason. The LUN was marked as offline also (maybe a consequence of 2 disks failed). Now I can't assign the LUN to a SP. I get  Transfer of ownership of a LUN failed (0x40008059). It's sitting under Unowned LUNS at the moment. Any ideas how I can get this back? I've replaced the 2 faulted disks.

October 27th, 2014 05:00

Please contact EMC support center. And ask them to refer to KB(000182912). We need to use hostconfcli to add the LUNs to ~physical SG. And then, we can trespass the LUN in unisphere.

812 Posts

October 27th, 2014 08:00

Yes, you must contact support. But I am not sure if you have support for this CX3 box.

4.5K Posts

October 27th, 2014 13:00

When you have two disks in a Raid Group that fail, you have what's called a double faulted raid group. Raid 5 parity only protects against a single disk failure. You must contact EMC service. In the case of a double faulted raid group, do not attempt to replace any disk without contacting EMC. The reason for this is that when the first disk failed, it would have tried to start the rebuild to the hot spare and some of this may have taken place. When the second disk failed, that would stop all processing on the raid group. Support will need to review the logs and determine if you can safely replace disks.

In the worst case, you will need to restore the data for that raid group from backup.

glen

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 27th, 2014 13:00

glen wrote:

In the worst case, you will need to restore the data for that raid group from backup.

it depends how far it got in the process of rebuilding, since rebuild are done at LUN level it's possible some data is available as it was rebuild to another device. As Glen said talk to support, they will guide you.

26 Posts

October 28th, 2014 01:00

Thanks everyone. I don't have support anymore for this hardware.

I think I'm OK as far as data loss goes I use the array for staging backups, which get duplicated to tape.

I still need to get the disks going again though, might have to destroy the lun and start again at this rate.

4.5K Posts

October 29th, 2014 12:00

You could try re-seating the disks, first re-seat the second  disk that failed, if that disk comes up, the rebuild should start back up. If it finishes, you should replace the first disk and maybe the second disk. If these disks are the SATA or older ATA disks, you may want to replace both.

glen

No Events found!