Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2010 18:00

CX4 and CX500

I am unable to register our arrays and get full access as though we purchased them from EMC. Because we purchased them through Dell I am blocked in some software and links posted. Is there some way around this?

542 Posts

November 30th, 2010 07:00

As someone who implemented EMC products for Dell for a few years, i can say that i have seen this a few times.   Your best bet is to contact your Dell Project Manager and they are required to walk you thru getting your hardware registered on powerlink so you have access.  Now just because it is registered doesn't mean you will have full powerlink access.  You will most likely have Customer access while others have partner access.

Some of the links and software you see on the forums are to stuff that needs partner access and that might be why you cant access it.

As for the comment about not going thru Dell to get your equipment, that is your opinion.  I have been working directly with EMC for the last 8 months after doing support with Dell support for 4+ years and i can say from  personal experience, that i like Dell support better.  For instance,  if i call in a issue, i don't get off the phone till it is resolved.  If i call in a Sev1 ticket with EMC right now,  i have to wait to be called back.  if it is a Sev2 or higher, i am waiting on average 5+ hours for someone to respond.  It is not their support personnel since the guys that i talk to are very knowledgeable in what they do.  the problem is with the procedures they have and they way they keep the customer informed.

For example,  i opened a ticket last Monday for a bad harddrive to be replaced.  That ticket then sat for 4 days doing nothing.  when i called about it, i found out that they had closed my ticket because it was a duplicate(dailhome was first) and had opened another but didn't bother to tell me.  during those 4 days that they were working the other ticket, they put the wrong address for the part in it.  when CE went out, he couldn't find the site and so the ticket just sat there with a entry in the notes that the address was wrong...   This is a Premier 4 hour customer.  I still have tickets taht i requested to be closed weeks ago that are not closed.  It is just attention to detail.

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE their products.  Just not to happy about the support.

Sorry for the rant

159 Posts

November 29th, 2010 20:00

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with some of our legacy arrays that were purchased with Dell.  I would suggest avoiding purchasing EMC gear from Dell at all costs.  We have run into support issues with Dell service and support not wanting to fix product recalls (I forget the EMC terminology) or do online firmware upgrades of disks for us.  Basically we MUST shut down the array that is designed for online maintenance because they are not willing to take responsibility for possible data loss.  That said, Dell should have given you all the software licenses and keys that you are entitled to and you should be able to register the array on powerlink and get the relavent downloads.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 30th, 2010 08:00

ditto on quality of service, i feel like it's become HP like service ..and that is NOT a complement.

131 Posts

November 30th, 2010 09:00

I used to work for a company that had Dell-branded CLARiiON arrays.  I had the same access on Powerlink I have now.  Email powerlink@emc.com with your issue and they'll probably fix it for you.

I had very limited access when I used Dell-branded stuff until I emailed them, then it was taken care of.

The bad thing about Dell Support compared to EMC.  FLARE updates aren't covered in Dell's support.  You have to pay for a "health check" in order to get a FLARE update.  EMC will come out and do a FLARE update whenever you want, as many times as you want for no additional charge.

For Windows stuff and other tier-1 type of stuff, the Dell/EMC support is pretty much the same.

I notice the difference when needing support for UNIX hosts and complex issues.

196 Posts

November 30th, 2010 09:00

We also have 4 hour premier service, and you are correct that they work with you untill they are done. I have ingaged a TAM and made mutiple calls and emails to get the sans registered in my name but all I get is is a excuse or they pass me to another department. Also you are correct that I am a customer on EMC site not a partner that chaps my @#$@# at Dell. We paid for the equipment and we own the equipment they should give me the information to register the sans and the Brocade Fabric Switches. How would you handle this problem, even if the TAM and other people either cant or wont help. Thanks for letting me rant!

542 Posts

November 30th, 2010 10:00

I am curious who your PM and TAM is for your account.  i probably know them:)

Usually getting a TAM involved or your account exec will get any issue resolved.  And you cant be mad at Dell for your powerlink level of access.  the reason you don't have partner access is because you dont work for a company that provides EMC services to other customers.  Like installs and designing solutions.  Those companies staff a number of "Certified" engineers for the different equipment and only keep their partner status as long as they have certified employee's.

IF you cant get assistance from the TAM or PM, then the only thing i can think of is sending a email to EMC (maybe powerlink@emc.com) with the array serial numbers and ask them if they are listed under your powerlink profile.  IF not, they should be able to add them as long as you can verify that you are the owner and such.

131 Posts

November 30th, 2010 10:00

You can also buy EMC-branded from Dell. Next array you buy, maybe look

into that.

I don't think they'll transfer service contracts from Dell to EMC though

so your existing stuff is probably going to stay will Dell support.

542 Posts

November 30th, 2010 11:00

Well i dont reconize that name for the TAM but it has been a year since i worked with them and im sure they have had some turnaround.

Your powerlink account should have access to just about everything except certain software that requires a certified engineer to use/install.  Powerlink is a very hard site to find stuff on and if you are looking for stuff or dont thin you have the right access to a particular document, then just email them and ask them.   Also, there is a "documents" tab on this forum that they put alot of real good documents in for basic Clariion administration.   I would always check there when looking for something.  There are alot of Best Practice docs there now.

196 Posts

November 30th, 2010 11:00

So I should be blocked from EMC to get to best pratices and procedures on flare 30 . The TAM is Kim Thrower.

196 Posts

November 30th, 2010 12:00

But get this I was able to download Flare Base-04.30.000.5.508-fleet64_free.upf, if I can get this I should be able to get anything?

I will keep emailing software@emc.com and bugging Dell. One time I did get a link for additional entitlements but the link was expired, and I tried to use it the day that I got it.

131 Posts

November 30th, 2010 12:00

Email powerlink@emc.com

4.5K Posts

December 1st, 2010 14:00

A work-around until you get the PowerLink issues resolved is that we try to post to this forum all the BPG for clariion - flare reelase 30 is now available

glen

196 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 07:00

Thanks All !!

No Events found!