Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2013 14:00

Clariion active passive architecture

Is there any documentation that can explain active\passive for Clariion and the need for initatiors to be zoned to 4 SP ports rather than 2?  Trying to correctly articulate to a customer.

1.2K Posts

September 25th, 2013 07:00

One starting point would be the EMC document "EMC Unified Storage Systems Fundamentals for Performance and availability".  This briefly discusses Active/Passive and ALUA.

As far as 4 SP port zoning, this is common availability.  Typically, you zone each initiators in a manner as follows:

Host HBA port 1 - SPA port 2

Host HBA port 1 - SPB port 2

Host HBA port 2 - SPA port 3

Host HBA port 2 - SPB port 3

Why?  In the above scenario, we protect against the failure of an SP port or a full SP failure.  If we lost port 2 on either SP above, we can still communicate on the same Host HBA and we have no trespassing required on the array.  If we lost SPA or SPB, we would trespass LUNs from one SP to the other and still be able to communicate on both host HBA ports.

If we only zone to one port on SPA and one port on SPB, if we trepassed LUNs, one HBA port will immediately be degraded and communicate with the array on a non-optimal path (i.e., it would send traffic to the failed SP port which would communicate on the internal path between the SPs). 

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

2 Intern

• 

4K Posts

September 28th, 2013 22:00

You can also read the whitepaper "EMC CLARiiON Asymmetric Active/Active Feature" as well:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h2890-emc-clariion-asymm-active-wp.pdf

alua_host_config.png

2 Intern

• 

1.4K Posts

September 29th, 2013 00:00

Active/passive means only one storage processor processes I/O to its owning LUN. The other storage processor would never process i/o to the non-owning LUN.

zeroing 4 paths has several benefits.

1. To tolerating i/o module failure and SP failure respective. In some cases, all the paths to say SPA is the optimal path and you would prefer i/o always go this way. If one of the i/o port failure on SPA, it would be better we can still handle i/o on SPA through another i/o port rather than trespass the LUN to another SP.

2. LUN trespass would cause a little bit long delay and might interrupt the application.

3. peer SP would become unbalanced after the reassigning of the LUN ownership.

4.5K Posts

September 30th, 2013 13:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!