Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2013 21:00

DAE LCC EXP PRI cabling

Well, despite being a programmer, network engineer (non-FC) for 24 years..(and a long list of other qualifications)....apparently I'm clueless as to what kind of cable/adapter is actually supposed to connect to the EXP and/or PRI ports of a disk array enclosure on the Link Control Cards?

Yes, let's all have a slow hardy sad laugh at my expense, but in the meantime after I'm duly punished for such ignorance...could someone please tell me exactly what in the world am I looking at in these photo's? It look like internally a simply 8-pin copper connection...-and it looks like it takes some kind of very-slim RJ-type adapter...but RJ-45 is too big, and the HSSDC cables I bought certainly do not go there...-oh, and I should mention that EVERY emc pdf I have downloaded (over 30 of them) does not explicitly state what kind of cable/adapter this is. I'm on day 3 of hunting this one down...

Second question, why does this port (PRI/EXP) seem to have metal surrounds? Is this for grounding whatever the adapter/cable that plug into it?,...and if so, will I need a special adapter and THEN the cable(s)?

Thanks, and yes...I know the drill, the beatings will not stop until moral improves! DOMO in advance!

DSC00162.JPG.jpg

1.2K Posts

September 27th, 2013 09:00

Hello!

What you're looking at is the EMC fibre expansion cable, referred to as HSSDC.  If the HSSDC cables you bought don't fit, there's a chance they are for the older Apple storage array.  We had one once - for fun, I tried to see if the EMC cables fit the connector.  There's a slight difference between the connectors Apple uses and EMC.

What type of array (CX?  CX3?  CX4?) array model (CX3-20? CX4-240?) and DAE (DAE2?) are you trying to connect.

Thanks!

13 Posts

September 27th, 2013 10:00

Karl,

EDIT->UPDATE:  You were correct...I bought the HSSDC2 instead of the HSSDC!  Time to go shopping and buy the correct cables!

Thanks for the quick reply! Currently all I have is a DAE which is model type KAE...it has two LLC's, and 15 sata drives.

I cannot tell based on the markings of the chassis if this is specifically a DAE, or a DAE2. However, from what I gather the DAE/DAE2's are almost functionally the same as far as connectivity goes...-and to that effort I have ordered some CX400 service processor because according to the chassis (per DAE dos'c I read) they should work fine...the functionality being in the SP's more than the arrays's themselves...-again, I'm not even sure o that either until those arrive to see if they'll even work(?).

I am concerned about these LLC's having some odd PRI/EXP connector type..were you able to identify that port based on the photo I provided? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

4.5K Posts

September 30th, 2013 14:00

I've attached an old cross reference guide for the cables.

1 Attachment

November 27th, 2013 18:00

Hi

Where did you get with this?  I too I have the same challenge!  I have acquired a Clariion CX400 SP's and its DAE and I went ahead and purchased a HSSDC-HSSDC cable, only to find it didn't fit!

Here is the picture from my array - does anyone have the part number for such a cable?  I've looked all over the web for cables, and that's how I (mistakenly) chose the cable I purchased.  I don't want to get it wrong again - could anyone on here tell me what the type of cable is required for this, or where I could buy one, or a hyperlink?

IMG_8225[1].JPG.jpg

Help!

Cheers!

Mark

4.5K Posts

November 28th, 2013 13:00

I found these older numbers - the description is about the same, but the length is different

HSSDC-to-HSSDC

038-003-022 HSSDC to HSSDC Cable, 1M (non-RoHS)

038-003-072 4 Meter Fiber cable (HSSDC to HSSDC) (non-RoHS)

038-003-598 HSSDC to HSSDC 2G 8M CABLE

I double checked these numbers and they are still listed as the cables for the CX200/400/600 for connecting the SP to the DAE

038-003-076 HSSDC TO HSSDC, 27 AWG, 1M (non-RoHS)

038-003-446 5m hssdc to hssdc FC Cable (RoHS)

038-003-447 10 m hssdc-hssdc cable (RoHS)

This is what the CX400 backend looks like.

CX400 BE.JPG.jpg

This is the backend of the DAE

DAE BE.JPG.jpg

April 10th, 2014 04:00

Thanks for the reply - that's been a great help in sourcing the correct cable!

I was interested in the 038-003-289 cables - am I right in thinking that these cables will allow a DAE from a CX4 to be connected to the CX400 then?

4.5K Posts

April 11th, 2014 14:00

These are the DAE's supported by the CX series. This is from the OR Disk Flare matrix available on support.emc.com

https://support.emc.com/docu42949_All-VNX-CLARiiON-Celerra-Storage-Systems-Disk-and-FLARE-OE-Matrices.pdf

CX_DAE.JPG.jpg

glen

No Events found!