Highlighted
axetone1
1 Copper

DAE LCC EXP PRI cabling

Jump to solution

Well, despite being a programmer, network engineer (non-FC) for 24 years..(and a long list of other qualifications)....apparently I'm clueless as to what kind of cable/adapter is actually supposed to connect to the EXP and/or PRI ports of a disk array enclosure on the Link Control Cards?

Yes, let's all have a slow hardy sad laugh at my expense, but in the meantime after I'm duly punished for such ignorance...could someone please tell me exactly what in the world am I looking at in these photo's? It look like internally a simply 8-pin copper connection...-and it looks like it takes some kind of very-slim RJ-type adapter...but RJ-45 is too big, and the HSSDC cables I bought certainly do not go there...-oh, and I should mention that EVERY emc pdf I have downloaded (over 30 of them) does not explicitly state what kind of cable/adapter this is. I'm on day 3 of hunting this one down...

Second question, why does this port (PRI/EXP) seem to have metal surrounds? Is this for grounding whatever the adapter/cable that plug into it?,...and if so, will I need a special adapter and THEN the cable(s)?

Thanks, and yes...I know the drill, the beatings will not stop until moral improves! DOMO in advance!

DSC00162.JPG.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
umichklewis
4 Tellurium

Re: DAE LCC EXP PRI cabling

Jump to solution

Hello!

What you're looking at is the EMC fibre expansion cable, referred to as HSSDC.  If the HSSDC cables you bought don't fit, there's a chance they are for the older Apple storage array.  We had one once - for fun, I tried to see if the EMC cables fit the connector.  There's a slight difference between the connectors Apple uses and EMC.

What type of array (CX?  CX3?  CX4?) array model (CX3-20? CX4-240?) and DAE (DAE2?) are you trying to connect.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
umichklewis
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Hello!

What you're looking at is the EMC fibre expansion cable, referred to as HSSDC.  If the HSSDC cables you bought don't fit, there's a chance they are for the older Apple storage array.  We had one once - for fun, I tried to see if the EMC cables fit the connector.  There's a slight difference between the connectors Apple uses and EMC.

What type of array (CX?  CX3?  CX4?) array model (CX3-20? CX4-240?) and DAE (DAE2?) are you trying to connect.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
axetone1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Karl,

EDIT->UPDATE:  You were correct...I bought the HSSDC2 instead of the HSSDC!  Time to go shopping and buy the correct cables!

Thanks for the quick reply! Currently all I have is a DAE which is model type KAE...it has two LLC's, and 15 sata drives.

I cannot tell based on the markings of the chassis if this is specifically a DAE, or a DAE2. However, from what I gather the DAE/DAE2's are almost functionally the same as far as connectivity goes...-and to that effort I have ordered some CX400 service processor because according to the chassis (per DAE dos'c I read) they should work fine...the functionality being in the SP's more than the arrays's themselves...-again, I'm not even sure o that either until those arrive to see if they'll even work(?).

I am concerned about these LLC's having some odd PRI/EXP connector type..were you able to identify that port based on the photo I provided? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Tungsten

Re: Re: DAE LCC EXP PRI cabling

Jump to solution

I've attached an old cross reference guide for the cables.

0 Kudos
mysticbiscuit
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

Where did you get with this?  I too I have the same challenge!  I have acquired a Clariion CX400 SP's and its DAE and I went ahead and purchased a HSSDC-HSSDC cable, only to find it didn't fit!

Here is the picture from my array - does anyone have the part number for such a cable?  I've looked all over the web for cables, and that's how I (mistakenly) chose the cable I purchased.  I don't want to get it wrong again - could anyone on here tell me what the type of cable is required for this, or where I could buy one, or a hyperlink?

IMG_8225[1].JPG.jpg

Help!

Cheers!

Mark

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

I found these older numbers - the description is about the same, but the length is different

HSSDC-to-HSSDC

038-003-022 HSSDC to HSSDC Cable, 1M (non-RoHS)

038-003-072 4 Meter Fiber cable (HSSDC to HSSDC) (non-RoHS)

038-003-598 HSSDC to HSSDC 2G 8M CABLE

I double checked these numbers and they are still listed as the cables for the CX200/400/600 for connecting the SP to the DAE

038-003-076 HSSDC TO HSSDC, 27 AWG, 1M (non-RoHS)

038-003-446 5m hssdc to hssdc FC Cable (RoHS)

038-003-447 10 m hssdc-hssdc cable (RoHS)

This is what the CX400 backend looks like.

CX400 BE.JPG.jpg

This is the backend of the DAE

DAE BE.JPG.jpg

0 Kudos
mysticbiscuit
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply - that's been a great help in sourcing the correct cable!

I was interested in the 038-003-289 cables - am I right in thinking that these cables will allow a DAE from a CX4 to be connected to the CX400 then?

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

These are the DAE's supported by the CX series. This is from the OR Disk Flare matrix available on support.emc.com

https://support.emc.com/docu42949_All-VNX-CLARiiON-Celerra-Storage-Systems-Disk-and-FLARE-OE-Matrice...

CX_DAE.JPG.jpg

glen

0 Kudos