Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2012 11:00

FAST reporting available?

Hi All -

Is there some way that I can create a report that tells me exactly what disk FAST has my data tiered to?  I have a SQL database that I would like to see if it is being utilized on our SSD, Fiber or SATA disks.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

September 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi

There is no option to generate report on FAST which would say about which disk your data is tiered to..You can see the percentage distribution from the Pool LUN properties, under "Tiering" tab. It would say about what type of disks is having what percentage of tiered data.

Thanks

Anirudh

44 Posts

September 11th, 2012 09:00

Hi Anirudh-

Thank you for the reply.  I know where to find the tiering stats... just was hoping that I could find out where some specific data is actually sitting in the SAN.  I have a DBA questioning our pool setup with FAST and if there are enough spindles... yadda yadda yadda...

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

VMAX does it, it also has a lot more horse power.

1.4K Posts

Hi TCLiven,

I agree with Anirudh here as far as I know there is none.

Once the Auto Tiering is Enabled the data constantly moves (depending what is selected manual or scheduled) depending on which data is accessed frequently. It would be difficult to track where exactly the data is situated at a given point of time. Lets suppose if it is available then tracking all the changes would cost a lot of SP Memory and would lead to a performance issue.

I am still checking if there is any workaround or anyway, if yes I will update it here.

159 Posts

September 11th, 2012 14:00

Beat the DBA with a spindle and ask him if that was fast enough?  Seriously though, what is he questioning and why?  There has to be something behind it.  Figure that out, make him show data, then you can know better how to help.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 12th, 2012 22:00

VMAX does it, it also has a lot more horse power.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 13th, 2012 06:00

Interesting, I never replied to that thread via email. ECN/PowerLink is acting up today, I can’t even login to PowerLink at the moment.

1.4K Posts

I am going to assume that was delayed response via email!

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

it was routed through a different reality / dimension

1.4K Posts

September 13th, 2012 07:00

Powerlink is down Start 8:44am ET Sep 13. :S

No Events found!