Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

GS

November 13th, 2007 18:00

Flush Cache .. GUI or CLI ??

Evening all.. quick question,

I have a pair of CX 500s and am performing a DR test this weekend. We are in the process of buying Replication Manager but will not have it installed for this test.
I need to make sure that a consistency group for SQL data and logs get replicated without data in cache.

Can someone direct me or provide a quick command or series of clicks that will let me MANUALLY flush write cache, and the perform a manual sync with DR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
G

133 Posts

November 14th, 2007 02:00

G,

You should consider consistency or you data too, i.e. application consistent vs crash consistent. RM would give you application consistency¿

To get application consistency the order of activities should be

1. Quiesce I/O to the source LUN.
2. Flush all cached data to the source LUNs by using the admsnap flush command to flush all server buffers: admsnap flush ¿o driveletter:
3. Replicate data

Admsnap is a prerequisite for your RM installation too.

I hope this helps
Calle

PS What replication method are you using, SAN Copy or MirrorView, and are you going directly from the source LUN?

November 14th, 2007 16:00

Thanx for the help, I am using Mirrow/View (Async)

So the admsnap command is just that simple...

admsnap flush ¿o driveletter:

75 Posts

November 15th, 2007 14:00

Note the admsnap command will flush server buffers. Your question was flushing of write cache onthe CX which is not necessary. The replication software accesses a LUN object, and the LUN can have data in cache and on disk, it will all be handled properly. That is part of the 'virtualization' that has been in the product for many years.

So whether replicating via host reads fom the LUN, SnapView, MView or MView Async, the write cache state is immaterial. Making sure you have the right process for establishing the remote is important. That is handled in the help and, for advanced techniques, tech notes on Powerlink.
No Events found!