Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2017 06:00

Help setting up a CX3-40f

Hey everyone,

Im new to the EMC world and need some help please.

I have just picked up a CX3-40f and need help to make sure it is functioning.

I have loaded the Navisphere Storage System Initialization Wizard on my server, and on the same subnet I have both SP's plugged into.

I can see both NIC's are getting an IP.

However, how do I get into the system to make sure it is working?

I have no storage array connected yet, as I want to make sure the CX3-40f is working before I buy more equipment.

Thank you,

Rick

5 Posts

June 30th, 2017 06:00

Sorry, in the Initialization wizard, it says it cannot see anything connected to the network.

4.5K Posts

July 6th, 2017 08:00

First off, you need to know what the IP address for the Storage Processors on the array are. The CX3 has two SP's - SPA and SPB, each SP has a unique IP address. If you know the IP addresses for the SP's, then you can use IE (the Navisphere interface for the array uses JAVA, so you will need to install an older version of JAVA on you PC - for the CX3 you should install JAVA version 1.6.30). Then open a new browser window and type in the IP address for SPA. This should start the login to the array. Once it connects it will ask you for a username and password to log into the array. If you do not know what the username/password for the array is, there are a couple of forum posts that explain how to reset the username/password for the array - do a search for "reset username" - this procedure will require that you connect a PC to the back of the array using a null modem cable - this allows you to access the array without requiring a usename/password.

Before you get started I would recommend that you visit the below link for the documentation on the CX3. You can find information and white papers about installing, setting up and configuring the array and connecting a host to the array.

https://support.emc.com/products/7840_CLARiiON-CX3-Ultrascale-Series

glen

5 Posts

July 6th, 2017 09:00

Glen,

Thank you for the response. I tried that when I got the CX3, however, there is NO interface coming up on either SP. I scan them and there are NO services running (FTP, SSH, HTTP, etc.)

Also when going to the link provided, and signing in with my EMC credentials, the site is unavailable.

emc.JPG.jpg

4.5K Posts

July 7th, 2017 11:00

I just tried that link again and it's working for me.

You can also connection to the array directly using the build-in serial port on the back on the CX3 using s null modem cable and a PC. See the following article with the steps:

https://support.emc.com/kb/326609

This next KB provides the settings you'll need to log into the serial port:

https://support.emc.com/kb/366825

To use you connect a null modem cable to the Service port on the back to your PC. It's the micro DB9 connector with the wrench symbol.

CX3 rear ports.PNG.png

glen

5 Posts

August 25th, 2017 14:00

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry it's been a while, this was put on the back burner during a major project.

So I have the Micro DB9 to connect to the box. However when trying to use the PPP I setup, it gives error 651. Any ideas?

4.5K Posts

August 28th, 2017 08:00

First, make sure you settings on the PC are correct:

I. CONNECTING TO SP USING SERIAL CABLE AND HYPERTERMINAL

First click  Start-> Programs-> Accessories > Communications HyperTerminal.

Second enter the name of the connection (your choice), and click OK.

Under connect using select COM1 and click OK.

Connect null modem serial cable from Workstation COM1/COM2 to front serial port on the CLARiiON.

Configure HyperTerminal connection for the CLARiiON using the following settings:

Connect using: COM1 or COM2 and click Apply.

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow Control: None (verify that Auto detect and ANSI are selected for terminal emulation if an option).

Note: Make sure that you set the following in the image below on your HyperTerminal session from File > Properties > Settings.

HyperTerminal Settings for Serial Connection to SP.PNG.png

Click Transfer > Capture text > Browse to the location and name the file and click Start.

glen

5 Posts

September 14th, 2017 10:00

Some success! It communicates now, however the output to HyperTerm is garbage. 20170914_125058.jpg

I followed the HyperTerm instructions to a T. 9600 8 none 1 and no flow control on com 1 ANSIW emulation backspace is Del

4.5K Posts

September 22nd, 2017 08:00

First, it appears that the Storage Processor that you're connected to seems to be working - that the good news. If the Power LED on the back is steady green that means the SP is running. When you connect to the serial port in this state, the baud rate will be 115200.

That output is typical for a mismatch in baud rates. When the SP first starts to boot, the rate is 9600, once it's finished booting (the OS is now running) the baud rate changes to 115K. Try rebooting (power off the Standby Power Supply and wait until the power LED is off, then power on) when the connection is set to 9600. If the array is running correctly you should see output that looks like BIOS loading and running. If that all looks OK, then you'll need to establish a PPP connection with a different baud rate to make a connection to the SP to run Navisphere.

Take a look at the following KB - this provides additional information once you have the PPP connection running - the SP power LED should be steady green. Once you can get connection to the array, open IE and point to http:// 192.168.1.1/setup. From the setup page you should be able to see the IP's for the two SP's

https://support.emc.com/kb/326609

glen

DIRECTIONS FOR PPP CONNECTION FOR XP (or Windows 2000)

To set up the direct serial port connection to the array follow these steps: 

Note: Remote Access Services and Network and Dial-Up Settings are installed by default during the initial installation of Windows 2000.

Follow these steps:

Select Start -> Settings -> Network connections -> New connection wizard

When the Network Connection Wizard starts, click Next to begin.

Select "Set up and advanced connection" ->Next->" Connect directly to another computer" button and click Next.

Click the Guest button.

Click Next.  Name the connection (whatever you would like), Click Next.

On the Select a Device pull down menu, select Communications between two computers (COM1) or select COM2 if the cable is connected to COM2 and click Next.

On Connection Availability window, select "Anyone's use."

Click Next.

Click Finish.

The Connect dialog box with the name that you assigned to it displays (prompting with user name and password fields).

Click the Properties button.

In the Properties dialog box under the General tab make sure COM1 or COM2 (if connected to it) and click the Configure button (enable hardware flow control should be checked).

In the Modem Configuration dialog box click the Maximum Speed pull down menu and select 115200 bps. Click OK to close the Modem Configuration dialog box.  

If prompted for flow control, Flow Control: None. (Verify that Autodetect and ANSI are selected for terminal emulation.)

** Flow control is hardware, and data bits is 8, Parity None, Stop bits 1...This is for HyperTerminal 

Note:  Verify that the computer is correctly configured to receive the IP address from the array. Click the Networking tab of the Properties dialog box, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.  Under the General tab verify that the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically buttons are both selected.  Click Cancel to back out of that menu or click OK to accept any changes that you have made.

Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.

In the User name field enter the following: clariion.

In the Password field enter the following: clariion!.

No Events found!