This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2010 05:00

Linux host connectivity problem

Hi All,

I read Linux host connectivity guide, and it describe as following:

Disabling Linux Multipath

If you decide to upgrade to EMC PowerPath for path management of your servers’ storage, it is necessary to disable Linux Multipath before
installing EMC PowerPath or both multipathing applications will hold locks on the same devices, making the server unstable for use.
Prior to installing EMC PowerPath for Linux, perform the following steps:
1. As root, edit the /etc/multipath.conf file by commenting out all its present entries by inserting a # symbol at the beginning of each
    line entry in the configuration file that needs to be commented out, then add the following:

• For all others:
          blacklist {
          devnode "*"

}

2. From root, stop the multipath daemon, disable the multipath daemon, clear the device mapper table, and remove the Linux Multipath utility package:

#> /etc/init.d/multipathd stop
     #> /sbin/chkconfig multipathd off
     #> /sbin/dmsetup remove_all
     #> /sbin/rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep multipath`

I cannot run above command and remove multipath.

I try to use GUI tool to remove multipath, but it remove it's depended applications.

So the system crashed, cannot boot.

what's correct way to disable linux multipath?

Thank you,

Dennis

4 Posts

October 5th, 2010 10:00

To connect new RHEL hosts I installed powerpath first and did these steps to turn off native multipathing and rebooted the hosts and it worked.

# rpm –i EMCpower.LINUX-5.3.xxxxx
# service multipathd stop

# service multipathd status
# chkconfig --level 0123456 multipathd off

All the entries in file /etc/multipath.conf were hashed out by the above command when I checked after the reboot. So I guess no need to hash out the entries before rebooting.

Thanks !

2 Intern

• 

1.3K Posts

October 9th, 2010 10:00

there are two rpms usually which are device-mapper and device-mapper-multipath and multipath rpm handles the path mangement here. Ideally the system may not allow you to do `dmsetup remove_all` while it  is holded by device-mapper. I meant dmsetup remove_all is not mandatory to bring the system under PP control.

No Events found!