Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2013 21:00

Lun expansion issue

I have extended the LUN in Clarrion-CX-480 which was assigned to VM-ware host(ESX-5).

but host side VMDK not able to increase, even while trying to increaseit is not showing the extended space.

please suggest the possibilities and solutions

Thanks in advance......

2 Intern

• 

4K Posts

August 29th, 2013 22:00

First if your ESX 5 was upgrade from ESX 4, you should make sure you're using VMFS-5 since VMFS-3 has 2TB limitation.

Then follow VMware's KBs:

VMware KB: Growing or expanding a VMFS volume or datastore

VMware KB: Extending a VMFS volume to use new LUN space after expansion

Increase a VMFS Datastore

4 Posts

August 30th, 2013 11:00

Did you re-scan?

1.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 00:00

@ Troy: Rescan is a one of the steps mentioned in VMware KB: Growing or expanding a VMFS volume or datastore.

Aswinkumar

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue and inspires peers to engage and share in the community!

September 2nd, 2013 03:00

Thanks Ankit,

once my question get helpfullanswer/ correct answers surely I will mark accordingly, ofcourse this is a discussion not a question.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 07:00

extend LUN > extend VMFS Datastore > extend vmdk (VM properties) > grow partition in VM (diskpart for Win2k)

September 2nd, 2013 21:00

Thank you , it may work out.

we assined new lun and migrated the VM to new LUN.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 22:00

i know it works, done it many times.

1.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 07:00

dynamox wrote:

extend LUN > extend VMFS Datastore > extend vmdk (VM properties) > grow partition in VM (diskpart for Win2k)

I see what you did there!

No Events found!