Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2010 06:00

PowerPath support for CX4 on Win2000 server

Hello,

I am looking through the E-Lab Interoperability Navigator and I'm having a hard time finding the answer that I am looking for.  I am looking to see if there is a version of PowerPath that will work with Windows 2000 server that currently has storage devices from a HP EVA 5000 storage array (currently using SecurePath).  As a temp solution for an immediate storage need, we are looking to present storage to this host from a CX4-240.

SecurePath does not see the CX4 LUNS so I am looking for a version of PP to work with this version of Windows and the HP EVA 5000.

Thanks,

Dave

542 Posts

December 28th, 2010 06:00

I think that i have run into a simular problem like this and what i could find on these forums is that most vendor multipath software cannot co-manage 2 different arrays with the same HBA.

It sounded like you would need to install another HBA in that host and then install powerpath.  it would use the new HBA paths and then you could zone both arrays to that host and give it storage.

Do a forum search for SDD (IBM pathing software).   thats where i read some of this stuff.

I have a customer that is moving from a IBM array to a CX4-120 and we wanted to zone the hosts to both array's but they only have 1 set of hba's and you cant have 2 multipath software trying to use the same HBA...

December 29th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Kenn2347.  Unfortunately, I am limited on HBAs in this server and stuck with what the server currently has until the environment is upgraded.  I did find a version of PP (4.5) that supports Win2K, the CX4 and the HP EVA 5000.  My plan is to uninstall SecurePath and install PP to manage both storage arrays.  Hopefully I can manage them down the same HBA......

542 Posts

December 29th, 2010 13:00

Please let us know how it goes.  i thought i read that the single HBA could not manage 2 different vendor type array's and i am curoius if it will work

December 30th, 2010 04:00

I will let you know if it works or not.

14 Posts

December 30th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

the last powerpath version for windows 2K is PowerPath 5.1.

I think that this version works with EVA 5000 but i'm not sure.

Or other solution is to install Powerpath and secure path and to have one HBA managed by PowerPath for CX4 and one other managed by secure path for HP : The problem in this case, it's only single attachment...... OR with two HBA with two gbics each (4 Gbics total) and you'll have full attachment.

So first, try PowerPath 5.1 with licenced to have multi path load balancing and failover.

Before installing powerpath, Save your system.

Regards

No Events found!