Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2006 11:00

Slow backup performance

Hello,

This is my first post all. My problem is that backup to a Fibre Channel tape device is very slow when the source is a lun on my Clariion CX500. The LUN for this backup is 200 GB raid 5 with 5- 300GB 10K disks. The read io/s is around 4kb, which is slow. CPU utilization is about maxed out around 98%! The host is a SUN server running Netbackup 6.0. The tape device is Fibre Channel and is using IBM Ultrium drives. Also, the disks are not under any kind of stress individually and the SP is under utilized. Note... nothing is running on this raid set. Anyone have any ideas?

59 Posts

November 15th, 2006 11:00

Is this a filesystem DBO? If so, those pretty much suck for performance (We had to get rid of ours) due to all of the fragmentation.

Shmac

12 Posts

November 16th, 2006 12:00

How many HBAs, do you run seperate disk and tape paths?

suggest trying some benchmark reads from the SAN LUN to the Local disk to see if you are bottlenecked somewhere.

also check your read cache settings

6 Posts

November 17th, 2006 13:00

Hello, I am not familiar with Sun but in Windows if your NICs are set up differently than your switch ports your i/o will be very slow. It doesn't sound like network NIC speed and duplex setting would make a difference but with Veritas is does. If you can force the NIC and PORT to 100/FD or whatever speed you have as long as they match. Avoid auto detect. For example I just set up a new Media server and backup speeds were <300KB/sec. Server NIC was set to 100/FD and switch port was set to Auto. Changed switch port to 100/FD and now job runs >4600KB/sec.
No Events found!