Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2011 15:00

VMWARE SRM 5.0 Array Manager Error "SRA command 'discoverDevices' didn't return a response"

I upgraded SRM 4.1 to 5.0 without issues. I was able to PAIR the two sites successfully..  Have two CX4s arrays with MirrorView.

I did install the following for Storage Array Management:

- Solution Enabler 7.301 32 bits.

- Navisphere CLI 32 bits .  Tried it with { Do not create security file AND Create security file} , default  Low level for Certificate checking}

- EMC_VNX_SRA_v5.0.1

- EMC_Mirrorview_Enabler_for_VNX_SRA_v5.0.2

When I tried to add storage array, the only choice under  “SRA type “ was VNX . I added the protected CX4 Array under the first Protected Site supplying "SPA IP" address on the Management IP/Hostname and "SPB IP" address on the secondary Managmenet IP/Hostname .

When I clicked on enable, I got the following errors. “SRA command 'discoverDevices' didn't return a response”

The whole setup used to work fine in 4.1 , and there is no network restrictions between vCenter|SRM|CX4s servers.

What may be the issue here.?

25 Posts

November 30th, 2011 09:00

We are looking at a similar issue and will let you know when the cause is determined.  Meanwhile, would it be possible to get your log files (you have private message with contact info)?

Best Regards,

Bryan

December 8th, 2011 04:00

Found the solution. The user account for the array manager needs to be the same as the one in the vsi

December 8th, 2011 04:00

Hello Bryan,

We have exactly the same issue. OS 64 bit, VC 5 64 bit, SRM 5, VNX SRA, MV SRA and Solutions enabler 32 bit latest version.

Any idea?

Regards,

Sander

25 Posts

December 9th, 2011 11:00

Hi Sander,

I am glad you are up and running!  Did you perhaps restart the SRM services?  The EMC VNX SRA & corresponding MirrorView Enabler do not require EMC Solutions Enabler or VSI. 

Best Regards,

Bryan Neumann

December 12th, 2011 03:00

Hello Bryan,

My reply was not fully right. first i wasn't able to add one array to site one. But that is resolved. Now i also have the

same issue with "SRM command 'discoverDevices' didn't return a response".

This is the software we use

2 x EMC Celerra NS-480 (Clariion CX4-480 in the backend)

Mirrorview over fibre

FLARE 4.30.000.5.522

vCenter 5 - VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.0.0-456005

SRM 5 - VMware-srm-5.0.0-474459

ESXi vSphere 5

NaviCLI-Win-32-x86-en_US-7.31.25.1.29-1

Solutions Enabler se7310-WINDOWS-x86.exe

Windows 2008 R2 Standard edition

SQL 2008 R2

EMC VSI emc-vsi-sv-5.0.0-vmware-vsphere-WINDOWS-x86

EMC VNX Plugin SRA for SRM 5

EMC_Mirrorview_Enabler_for_VNX_SRA_v5.0.2

Any idea's

I also opened a case at vmware and EMC

Regards,

Sander Biemans

25 Posts

December 12th, 2011 09:00

Sander/All,

Please send me a private message with your contact info and I will send you a link to the updated MirrorView Enabler (soon to be available on PowerLink).

Thanks,

Bryan Neumann

December 12th, 2011 11:00

Hello Bryan,

I just send you the e-mail message.

Thanks alot.

Hopefully it will work.

Kind Regards,

Sander Biemans

25 Posts

December 14th, 2011 11:00

The MirrorView Enabler 5.0.7 is now available on PowerLink; the download information is below.

Direct link:

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Software_Download/EMC_Mirrorview_Enabler_for_VNX_SRA_v5.0.7.exe

From http://powerlink.emc.com, navigate to:

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads A-B > Adapters for Third-Party Applications

Click on the link for EMC_Mirrorview_Enabler_for_VNX_SRA_v5.0.7.exe

Best Regards,

Bryan Neumann

December 15th, 2011 01:00

Hello Bryan,

Indeed the software worked for us. Now i'm able to see the mirrored luns. Unfortunatly we have a new problem.

i have created 1 LUN (HLU 17 in SG CC) + snapshot (HLU 37 in SG CC) on 1 site and created exactly the same on the other site (only used a different storage group). I created a mirror from CC to AMS (those are site names). Created a datastore on site CC (VMFS5). Put a VM (with tools upgraded) on it (On vSphere 5). SRM placeholder LUN's are also VMFS 5.

Configured SRM (Resource mapping, placeholder, protection group, recovery plan, pair sites, pair array) and when i do a test recovery everything works perfectly.

But when i do a real recovery plan (with the migration option) the plan failed.

.1. TESTPC Error - Failed to promote replica devices. Failed to promote replica device 'sync-RM_CC-VMFS5-01-R5-MIX-P0'. SRA command 'failover' failed for device 'sync-RM_CC-VMFS5-01-R5-MIX-P0'. Could not add device to the storage group. Please check log file for more information. 2011-12-14 14:33:00 (UTC 0) 2011-12-14 14:33:00 (UTC 0)
11.1.1. Configure Storage Error - Failed to promote replica devices. Failed to promote replica device 'sync-RM_CC-VMFS5-01-R5-MIX-P0'. SRA command 'failover' failed for device 'sync-RM_CC-VMFS5-01-R5-MIX-P0'. Could not add device to the storage group. Please check log file for more information.

It says SRM is not able to add the secondairy lun (that is now promoted correctly by srm on the failover site AMS

) to the storage group. That is strange because it is already in. So i tried removing the secondairy lun from the failover array storage group but that didn't work either.

Problem we have now is the following. I'm in a failover state where i can see (After a manual rescan of the failover esx hosts) the datastore. It is now mounted as SNAP.....(datastore name). I can confirm that i run a test before and that the cleanup was succesfull (including multiple rescans to be sure everything was ok). Because (i think

) it is in snap state srm wont continue the recovery plan. So i can browse the datastore and i think i can reregister the vm again but that is not how it suppose to work. So i think their might be an issue with the recovery plan steps in SRM. I use the new mirrorview enabler. Because of this problem i removed all the SRM, SRA and MV enabler, Rebooted the servers, reinstalled it again (using the same SRM database) and run the same test again. Result is the same problem.

Do you have experiance with this problem? I also opened a case with EMC and VMware but didn't hear anything yet from them and because you found the previous sollution i thought lets give it another try :-)

Thanks in advance,

Sander Biemans

2 Posts

December 15th, 2011 19:00

Hi Sander,

I got the same issue with you after using EMC_Mirrorview_Enabler_for_VNX_SRA_v5.0.7. My systems are CX4-240 and CX4-120 with latest FLARE R30.

Regards,

Niwat

December 16th, 2011 00:00

Hello Niwat,

Thanks for your reply. That gives me the idea that it not a configuration issue for something i might have done wrong but it seems some issue with the software again. I have a severity case 1 running with EMC and VMware to solve this issue.

I would suggest you do the same to get a quick solution.

Maybe in the meantime bryan can check if he has the same problem in his environment.

I will keep you update if their is any news.

Best regards,

Sander Biemans

25 Posts

December 16th, 2011 12:00

Niwat & Sander,

Thank for the updates.  Could you please collect your logs via SRM (right-click each site for context menu showing the log collection option) and send them to:  nastoolsupport@emc.com along with the AR/SR filed with EMC?

Best Regards,

Bryan Neumann

December 16th, 2011 14:00

Hello bryan,

The case i opened (See your e-mail)

The srm logs and the spcollects are attached to this case

If you need more info please let me know

Best regards

Sander biemans

Emc vmware software engineer

Telindus isit the netherlands

Emc sscp partner

4.5K Posts

December 16th, 2011 14:00

I believe that there is a new version of SRA just uploaded to PowerLink today to fix a problem with Mirroview discovery.

glen

2 Posts

December 17th, 2011 04:00

Hi Bryan,

I just want to add more information about my testing, I have got the errors same as Sander when running the Test Plan or executing the Plan Migration to Recovery site. However, I have successfully executed the Disaster Recovery without any error and VMs can be running in Recovery site as usual.

During run the Test Plan or Plan Migration before getting errors, SRM has created a Snapshot LUN and added it into the Storage Group in Recovery site but it failed to activate as Datastore. The Snapshot LUN always be 255 Host LUN ID.

I cannot open the case direct to EMC because my customer is using Dell|EMC Boxes, I will open the case thru Dell Support first.

Regards,

Niwat

No Events found!