Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2013 06:00

Visibility of LUNS in two different storage group for VMotion

Hi All,

Is it safe or possible to give visibility of LUNs in two different storage groups?? because we need to migrate LUNs from existing blade chassis server to new rack server. New server added in first Storage Group for Vmotion of that SG's LUNs migration from existing server to new server. Here challenge is that we also need to give visibility of the second Storage Group's LUNs to new rack server (which is already added in first SG)  for VMotion. Any idea or tips how safetly we can migrate without any impact or data loss? If we share LUNs in two SG, it may crash (please correct me if i am wrong).

From,

Sabarna Deb

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 18th, 2013 07:00

you can add LUNs to multiple storage groups (host cannot be members of multiple storage groups).

4.5K Posts

September 20th, 2013 13:00

Generally you can add LUNs to different Storage Groups, but you must have clustering software running on the hosts. O believe that ESX has this.

The other issue is to ensure that the LUNs in the original storage group are not trespassed when you add to the second SG. You want all hosts to see the LUNs on the same SP owner for the LUNs

glen

474 Posts

December 29th, 2013 11:00

I didn't see mentioned already.. For VMware hosts, the Host LUN ID for the LUN must be the same in each storage group...  As an example, if CLARiiON LUN# 115 is in hosta's storage group with an HLU of 5, then it must also be HLU 5 in hostb's storage group.  There are ways to get around this within VMware if the situation will be temporary, but in general you need storage groups to be identically numbered.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 29th, 2013 13:00

Richard,

is that necessary these days, doesn't VMware rely on NAA addresses now and not on LUN Ids ?

No Events found!