Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2009 08:00

Warning: Create LUN...

I am receiving a "Warning: Create LUN" pop-up message when I try to create a new LUN in a new 1/0 Raid group and I'm not sure why. I hope someone here can help.
Here is the Warning...

"The RAID group being selected (RAID 1/0, RAID 1) includes disks that are located both in Bus 0 Enclosure 0 as well as some other enclosure(s). This configuration could experience Rebuilds of some disk drives following a power failure event, because Bus 0 Enclosure 0 runs longer than other enclosures during a power failure event. An alternate configuration where the disks in the RAID group are not split between enclosures in this manner, is recommended."

This is strange because none of the disks in the Raid group are coming from Enclosure 0. The disks assigned are from Bus 0, Encl 3, disks 11,12,&13 and Bus 0, Encl 4, disks 11,12, &13. I also got this meesage when all of the disks are from enclosure 4.

I am confused. Thank you for any assistance.
Joe

9 Posts

Just go ahead with your LUNs configuration. No problem at all it just a warning and recommendation.

2.2K Posts

I have seen this warning as well. I receive it any time I create a RAID1/0 LUN on my arrays running the latest FLARE revisions. Seems like a bug. I just ignore it as long as I am not actually binding a LUN in a RAID group that includes disks from bus 0 enclosure 0 and other enclosures.

261 Posts

September 28th, 2009 10:00

Seems like a bug to me too, especially when none of the drives are in 0_0.

The warning is really just trying to make the point that if part of a raid 1 or raid 1/0 group is in an enclosure that goes offline for whatever reason, that a rebuild will be needed to get the drives back in sync.

-Ryan

4 Posts

September 28th, 2009 10:00

Thank you all very much. This is obviously rather scary to a new Clariion user. I appreciate your quick responses and I will continue with the LUN creation.

Joe

2.2K Posts

September 28th, 2009 11:00

Ryan,
I see this alert, which specifically states that drives from 0_0 are selected, whenever I bind a LUN on a RAID1 or RAID1/0 Storage Group. Has a bug report been submitted for this? The wording of the alert is very misleading since it specifically states that the user has selected drives from 0_0.

2.2K Posts

September 28th, 2009 13:00

I see it on FLARE 28 only, I am currently running release 706. The alert does not appear on my arrays running FLARE 26.

261 Posts

September 28th, 2009 13:00

There was a case with engineering that mentions this was added and that in Flare 29 there was a change to it. I wonder if the change was to make sure it was only seen when 0_0 was used...

If you are at Flare 29, then I suggest opening a ticket so a proper bug can be submitted.

What flare code are you seeing the message on?

-Ryan

Message was edited by:
RyanP

238 Posts

October 1st, 2009 23:00

Quick update; the Navisphere team is aware of this anomoly - it is corrected in Release 29, and will be corrected in an upcoming patch release to R28.

Thank you,
DGM

2.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2009 07:00

Excellent, thanks for the update DGM!
No Events found!