Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2008 21:00

initiator not logged in

we connected a new clariion cx 300 to our HPUX host. after doing the proper zoning,storage groups creation , adding luns and updating the host many times ,in connectivity status initiator shows not logged in.tried to reconnect many times .restarted the hosts,still the same problem.could any one tell me what can be the reason.

30 Posts

November 1st, 2008 00:00

Is your HP-UX seeing any storage from the CLARiiON?

If you aren't using PowerPath, ensure that your initiators are set as 'HP auto trespass' with 'Failovermode' equal 0. You may also need to add the alternate device paths - via the not logged in HBA, to your volume group configuration.

47 Posts

November 1st, 2008 00:00

Sounds to me like a zoning problem.

I'd triple-check the following:
1.)Confirm that the WWNs are exactly right in the zone and that the zone is active on the switch.
2.)Confirm from the switch that the ports are in fact online and the WWNs match what's in the zone
3.)Confirm from the host that the HBAs are in fact online and the WWNs match what's in the zone

I'm sure you've checked this already but from my experience it's always good to check again ; )

142 Posts

November 3rd, 2008 03:00

I have experienced a similar problem and the cause was that I only saw the LUNZ.
Check if you see only one LUN per path in "ioscan fnC disk" and check if its size is 0 with "diskinfo /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ".

27 Posts

November 3rd, 2008 06:00

created 93luns of 8gb in 3raid groups.few of the luns are showing 0 bytes after doing insf -e.why the luns are showing 0 bytes?

Hey Mohan

For HPUX you need to run ioscan and then insf -e for the initiators to show up. You may also need to restart the navi agent /sbin/init.d/agent stop and then /sbin/init.d/agent start

27 Posts

did ioscan,then insf -e ,hosts are able to see the paths.still some luns are showing 0 bytes and initiator loged on status 'no'.

108 Posts

Hi Mohan,

I had same problem in the past.

1. HPUX shows loggen in status "no" if there no I/O going. :-)
2. Just add the host in storage group and you should see all the storage
3. check the powerpath mode to see the correct LUNZ.
4. Refer emc68877 ;-)
5. Make sure you reboot the host (if you can).

27 Posts

November 3rd, 2008 07:00

hello sir,
rebooted the host.we are using pvlinks.hosts able to see the paths and assaigned the luns.still initiator status'no'

108 Posts

November 3rd, 2008 08:00

Mohan,

Can you see the storage from host?
If yes, then don't worry about the initiator status. Thats the way HPUX works ;-)

4.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2008 10:00

Also, check in the Storage Group in the LUN tab and make sure that you have a Host ID (HLU) 0 (zero) without the HLU 0, the hosts will see the LUNZ.

Glen

30 Posts

November 3rd, 2008 14:00

Does diskinfo now show the correct LUN sizes via all of this host's device paths? If not you may need to update Connectivity status for this host, then rescan for devices then run `insf` as has been suggested.

Note that in an HP-UX environment with PVlinks, if an alternate path is not added to the volume group via `vgextend` it will not be available for failover (unlike PPath). The initiator that the alternate path uses may or may not show as logged in - depending on whether other LUN's also use it. My checkpoint for HP-UX PVlinks systems, is that if the volume groups are configured correctly, then all initiators should display as logged in all the time whether or not they are sustaining I/O.

BTW `emc68877` - arraycommpath should be set to 0 for HP-UX with PVlinks appears to contradict `emc99467` - arraycommpath can be either 0 or 1 for HP-UX and PVlinks. Perhaps someone from EMC can clarify?

1.3K Posts

December 6th, 2008 14:00

what is "arraycommpath" really is? I havn't observed using that phrase here?

4.5K Posts

December 8th, 2008 10:00

The arraycommpath option enables or disables a communication path from the server to the storage system when LUN 0 is not configured on the storage system. Enabling arraycommpath from Navisphere instructs the array to present a LUNZ whenever a host LUN0 does not exist. If a host LUN0 is available to the server (LUN0 bound and no Access Logix or LUN0 in the Storage Group for the initiator), the status of arraycommpath does not matter. If arraycommpath is not set appropriately at initial host and array configuration, the host will not be able to see the storage system or the LUNs (in which case PowerPath and failover is irrelevant).

In summary, arraycommpath does not play any role in failover. That is done by the failovermode setting.
Refer to solution emc99467 for information on the correct arraycommpath settings for all supported operating systems.

glen

4.5K Posts

December 8th, 2008 10:00

Like emc99467 says, either will work as far as the array connectivity is concerned. However, diskinfo may not return a value if arraycommpath is not 0.

glen

1.3K Posts

December 8th, 2008 11:00

thanks
No Events found!