Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2009 07:00

iscsi host connectivity guide

looking under home - support - tech advisor - host connectivity to find the exact document for setting up iscsi with CX4-120. the document is only reffer to CX3. is this the same document for CX4 or there something else?

4.5K Posts

June 30th, 2009 10:00

Using Windows before Windows 2008, you can use the Windows Host Connectivity Guide - there is a whole section describing in detail the steps for using iSCSI.

The easiest way to connect a new server to an array is to use the Navisphere Server Utility - this utility/Wizard installs on your server, then you follow the wizard to register and setup your host. After you run the Server Utility Wizard, you may want to install Navisphere Agent - again, it's located in the same spot.

The Utility can be found:

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads J-O > Navisphere Server Based Software

The documentation can be found - both the Server utility and the Agent program are explained in the same document - important reading:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ J-O ~ Documentation > Navisphere Management Suite > Installation/Configuration

Look for:

"CLARiiON Server Support Products for Windows Servers Installation Guide" and get the one that matches the revision of flare running on your array.

Don't forget to look in the Release Notes section and get the Release notes for late breaking changes that are not in the Install guide. In the General Reference section you can find information about Navisphere CLI. All very good reading and created to help customers find the necessary information to install, setup, and manager an array.

Remember that all operating systems are the responsibility of the OS vendor - specific questions about the OS and how it works might best be answered by the OS vendor. In the case of Microsoft iSCSI, you should also get the Microsoft iSCSI User Guide from the Microsoft web pages - just do a search on "iscsi" - there are some specific requirements and restrictions that Microsoft requires - check the manual for the restrictions.

The people on the EMC forums, especially in the Clariion forums are very knowledgeable about clariion and the different operating systems. We can help with a lot of issues, but always remember to provide as much detail about your configuration as possible. Went someone answers your question correctly, please mark the question as answered and award points to that post, it is the only incentive for providing help.

glen

4.5K Posts

June 30th, 2009 08:00

Try the following:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Host Connectivity/HBAs > Installation/Configuration

Look for the document that matches your host - what is your host and operating system that you're connecting - the more details that you supply in your question, the better chance we have of helping you.

glen

193 Posts

June 30th, 2009 09:00

my bad - forgot to mention i am using windows

193 Posts

July 1st, 2009 09:00

Thanks for the ghrat info Kelleg

7 Posts

May 28th, 2010 07:00

Hi Glen,

I found this post as I was looking for the same info. I will be doing my first EMC installation in a few days.

This is the way the setup is:

i) A Windows 2008 server

ii) A CX4-120 with

iii) 3 DAEs

iv) 21 SATA 2 drives plus the 5 Vault drives (making them 26 drives)

v) Navisphere Manager

vi) Documentation and Powerpath

The installation is in another country and I'm not sure whether it's an iSCSI or FC connection. Could you assist me with documentation with steps on how to do this?

Your directions to Bomb on June 30, 2009 suggest that I can get the document under Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads J-O > Navisphere Server Based Software. However the page says that there is no available item.

Best Regards,

Rianui

251 Posts

May 28th, 2010 09:00

Sounds like you have a problem with your rights on Powerlink as its certainly there

See emc116045 how to resolve Powerlink issues

Cheers

Gearoid

7 Posts

May 29th, 2010 10:00

Thanks Gearoid,

I'll check again and see where I'm going wrong.

I'm under the assumption that during the installation, after connecting the network or FC cables, that the Navisphere software will detect the storage and guide me with the installation. I have been looking for a PDF document that has the steps but the only one I have found so far is the EMC CLARiiON iSCSI Server Setup Guide for Solaris (P/N 300–004–251 Revision A03).

Regards,

George

4.5K Posts

June 1st, 2010 14:00

There are two ways to do this: manually or with the Wizard.

If you plan on using iSCSI, you'll need the Host Connectivity Guide for Windows - that has the section on setting up iSCSI for Windows. This same document has a section on fiber channel.

The Wizard is called the Navisphere Service Utility and will automate the setup process - the documentation can be found at

Home >Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories >  Software ~ J-O ~ Documentation >  Navisphere Management Suite  > Installation/Configuration

The Wizards can be found here:

Home Support > Software Downloads and Licensing Downloads J-O >  Navisphere Server Software

glen

7 Posts

June 2nd, 2010 00:00

Thank you guys for your assistance. I look forward to the installation.

Rianui

7 Posts

June 13th, 2010 00:00

Hello Storage Gurus,

Here is my update on the Clariion CX4-120 installation.
I followed EMC CX4 storage planning guide to set up the hardware and IIG to do the configuration. The storage consists of a first DAE with six  FC drives. There are two more DAEs with 21 SATA2 drives which I added after initializing the vault drives. I assigned IP addreses to SP-A (172.20.20.52 A-IMAGE) and SP-B (172.20.20.53 B-IMAGE) with a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0. The two iSCSI ports I have connected have the addresses (172.20.20.114 processor A) and (172.20.20.164 processor B) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and I used a Cisco Ethernet switch for connectivity. The client did not buy an EMC rack and so the rack I used did not have 16 Amps and 30 Amps power outlets. The available power is the normal 240 Volts and 13 Amps which I used.
I can now see both iSCSI ports on the storage and can even create a LUN and present it to the Windows 2008 server succsessfully. The problem comes in when formatting.
1) I cannot "quick format" a LUN and even when I do the normal format it says "formatting" and just stays there for hours and won't complete.
2) I cannot ping SP-A (172.20.20.52) and I only get to Navisphere through SP-B (172.20.20.53).
3) There is an amber light on the front of the SPE and Navisphere reports (Enclosure SPE * is faulted: Invalid Power Cable 1) on both SPS. Could this be caused by the power rating and is there a connection to the failure to format the LUN?
4) If the LUNs are not failing to format due to this hardware error, what else could I have done wrong?
5) There is no internet connectivity to the site. Can I download the newest Flare code and just upload it on the Clariion storage?

Best Regards,

Rianui

4.5K Posts

June 14th, 2010 14:00

Are you using PowerPath on the Windows 2008 server?

The fault probably needs to the fixed first - you have not have connection to one SP which may have disabled your Write cache. Right click on the array icon and select Properties, the select Cache tab - are the cache settings enabled? If not, then you need to fix the fault - bad battery backup unit (SPS)? Bad power?

glen

7 Posts

June 14th, 2010 23:00

Hi Glen,

Thanks. The fault is with SPS-A. And yes, write cache is disabled. I am not using powerpath. High availability is not the client's concern for now because I am connecting using just one Catalyst 2960 switch. All he wants is a LUN to use as he plans for extra hardware.

But now I have a nagging problem.Presentation of LUNs works just fine and I can see them in Windows as soon as I present them. The problem is that they are taking forever to format. 32% for over 12 hours for just a 50GB LUN!!

What is going on? I am currently trying another server to see if it's an OS problem.

Rianui

4.5K Posts

June 15th, 2010 09:00

With write cache disabled, the bandwidth is around 3mb/s. Once write cache is enabled, it should run much faster.

glen

7 Posts

June 15th, 2010 11:00

Hi Glen,

Thanks for you responses.

I managed to bring the storage up finally. The problem was with the Windows 2008 OS. When I changed to Windows 2003, The format went well.

I also found out why the errors related to power were appearing. I had connected the SPSs wrongly. Being my first CLARiiON installation, I was so proud of the achievement.

Thanks again,

Rianui

No Events found!