Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2013 11:00

"No empty ports found" on NS480, but Slot 3 has empty slots?

We have an NS480 physically configured with 8 front end FC ports per SP. Of these, 4 in each SP are populated, with 2 of each SP going to the Brocade FC switches and 2 going to the Celerra. The 4 unpopulated FC ports are all in Slot 3.

I want to attach cables to Port 3 slot 0 and 1 of each SP and cable these to my new MDS FC switches. It appears I do this via USM Hardware Installation.

When running the Install I/O modules and/or SFPs wizard in USM, it appears I will need to reboot each SP sequentially to initialize the port configuration. The following things are attached to my SAN

Celerra Gateway
2 RecoverPoint Appliances
16 ESXi 5.0u2 hosts each with PowerPath 5.7 installed and configured.

In the "server rediness for Software Update screen", none of the above devices show up as having been configured for high availability. I can check the "Override HA status for all servers" checkbox and continue.

I have gathered diagnostic info and run the rule checks. There are two rule checks with warnings. SP Event Log Verification and Special Conditions (aka all servers running failover software).

I have checked the processor utilization and it is an acceptable level to continue (in the teens).

I need to specify a non-disruptive upgrade delay. This is set to 360 seconds

I choose to install Small Form factor Pluggable (SFP) and/or Connectors and am told "No empty ports found. You will need to install an I/O module to install any additional SFP's or connectors" - yet if I look at the back of the NS480 I clearly see SFPs (LC) in Slot 3, Port 0-3 on each SP.

I am unsure why I am being told I need to install an I/O module to install any additional SFPs or connectors. Is there a license or some sort of enabler that needs to be loaded for these SPs to be visible?

4.5K Posts

January 29th, 2013 13:00

It sound as if those ports are already installed and ready to use. You didn't mention what version of flare is running on the array part of the NAS, but if it's flare 28 or 29, you can use a web browser to go to the IP address for SPA and log in. From there you can look at the Physical ports to see if they are present - if they are, then the ports are ready for use. You can right click on each SP port and see what the properties are for each port - again, if the ports are installed, you should see a WWN for each port.

glen

40 Posts

January 29th, 2013 14:00

Thanks!

So I'm running flare 30, and as you suggested I went in a web browser to the IP for SPA and logged in and I do see the physical ports are present. When I click on the properties for the ports ([A,B]-[4,5] I see WWNs for each port.

So from what you're saying it sounds like I'm good to go and can just plug my LC cables in, do my zoning and be good to go.  Would you agree?

4.5K Posts

Yes

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Sure, plug them in and see if they login to the switch (sh flogi database)

No Events found!