Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2010 01:00

steps to remove DAE

Hello All,

can I have the steps to remove the DAE from a production storage?The disks in DAE are not assaigned to any luns.

Thanks.....

542 Posts

December 29th, 2010 13:00

Wcg,  everything you posted there is correct except the part about having to reboot the Storage Processors.  We need to make sure taht we dont pass on the wrong information as that is not required anymore.

I can speak from experience since i have removed about 10 DAE's in the last 2 months and did not have to reboot the SP's once.  TO clear the fault, you need to restart the "management server"...

Also, i think that link you posted is internal to EMC only and is 3 years old.   I cant access it with my partner login.

542 Posts

December 28th, 2010 06:00

You can follow the steps in the link below.  The Document section of this Forum has many great proceedural documents that can help in daily Clariion administration.

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-8375

Make sure you follow the steps in the comments at the bottom to clear the fault after removal

131 Posts

December 28th, 2010 08:00

On the link Kenn posted, be sure to read his comment below on the link - no SP reboot is necessary.

542 Posts

December 28th, 2010 08:00

I am sure some of the EMC folks will look at this post and my question is how do we get that document that is linked above corrected?  Steps 5 & 6 dont need to be in it and i think they confuse people.  Step 7 can probally also be removed.

Maybe someone can remove those steps and also add my comments to clear the fault to it and make is complete...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 29th, 2010 13:00

Also, See http://knowledgebase.emc.com/emcice/categoryBrowse.do

Open By ID: emc147125 - "Can a CLARiiON disk array enclosure (DAE)  be removed without shutting down array?"

You are only able to remove a CLARiiON DAE without shutting down the CLARiiON under the following circumstances:
There are no active LUNs or RAID groups on the enclosure. (If there were LUNs and RAID groups on the enclosure previously, they must be destroyed/unbound.)
The enclosure is the last enclosure on the Fibre loop. (Due to the daisy chain connection of DAEs, removing a middle enclosure will take higher enclosures offline.)
The enclosure will show as faulted/empty in Navisphere until both SPs are rebooted (usually done consecutively).
Caution! This should be a scheduled activity. It is strongly recommended that EMC Field Support be engaged to disconnect the enclosure because if done incorrectly, the result could be a severe DU/DL situation.

March 24th, 2014 10:00

kenn2347 wrote:

Wcg,  everything you posted there is correct except the part about having to reboot the Storage Processors.  We need to make sure taht we dont pass on the wrong information as that is not required anymore.

I can speak from experience since i have removed about 10 DAE's in the last 2 months and did not have to reboot the SP's once.  TO clear the fault, you need to restart the "management server"...

Also, i think that link you posted is internal to EMC only and is 3 years old.   I cant access it with my partner login.

Thank you for this clarification - it's a pretty huge difference (restarting mgmt server vs restarting both SP's).

No Events found!