Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2013 13:00

Added a new DC, and now users cannot connect to my existing CIFS

So I recently added a new Windows Server 2008 R2 server to my existing network of 2 2008 NON-R2 servers (both acting as DCs). This new server has been tasked to be a DC, run AD & DNS. After getting AD & DNS set up successfully, the only problem I have now is that users connecting to our NX4/Clariion CIFS file shares receive an Access is Denied message. Even after typing in good Windows credentials, they get a popup similar to this:

untitled.bmp

I find it strange because DNS is clearly working (they are able to ping by internal file name) and also my users can cannot to other file shares (regular ol' windows shares, non-EMC) in our network. Everything was working fine before I added this new server too.

I think the only difference with this new server is that it is running Server 2008 R2 compared to the other DCs. I'm wondering if there is some sort of trust relationship between this new server and the SAN unit that I have forgotten to establish. Any ideas?

8.6K Posts

May 31st, 2013 11:00

If you look at the release notes of the current releases there is at least one problem fixed about Win2k8R2 domain controllers and clients unable to access

Without a service request that looks at a network trace it’s hard to diagnose

There are quite some changes in AD implemented in Win2k8R2

In these day and age of software getting updated rapidly it’s not a good idea to go 3+ years without an OS upgrade

If you would do that on your Windows systems they would probably in much worse shape and being infected with viruses and trojans

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 13:00

jassociates wrote:

I find it strange because DNS is clearly working (they are able to ping by internal file name) and also my users can cannot to other file shares (regular ol' windows shares, non-EMC) in our network. Everything was working fine before I added this new server too.

users can or cannot connect to other windows servers ?

29 Posts

May 30th, 2013 14:00

Users can connect to all other servers in our environment, including another 2008 server that is hosting its own file share folder. (non R2)

The only time they get an 'access is denied' pop up is when they try to access the EMC CIF. Does that make sense?

8.6K Posts

May 30th, 2013 16:00

What DART version are you using ?

29 Posts

May 30th, 2013 18:00

I ran a ‘nas_version” command and got this response:

5.6.47-11

Does that make a difference? When I was running non R2 servers, it was working fine.

8.6K Posts

May 31st, 2013 02:00

That’s what I guessed - 5.6.47 is ancient – it is from November 2009

I’m not really surprised then that an over 3 year old software might have problem with current Windows

Even though Win2k8R2 was also released in 2009 I don’t think all of your other software is 3+ years old without updates

29 Posts

May 31st, 2013 09:00

Do you think that is what it is? Or is there some sort of setting I have to do with Windows or the Celerra to make them work together?

I wasn't here for the initial install of this device with Server 08, so I've never set one up before...

29 Posts

May 31st, 2013 11:00

do you have a link to these release notes? I'd love to check them out!

8.6K Posts

May 31st, 2013 13:00

Support.emc.com for the latest ones – Powerlink.emc.com for older

If you cant find them ask support to send you a copy

No Events found!