Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2010 10:00

Celerra Gateway as Backup Target?

I was hoping to get some advice from all the Celerra experts here about a project I am considering.

Currently we have a Windows 2003 file server with 4TB of NTFS shares that are used solely as backup targets for SQL LiteSpeed backup files. The DBAs in my company then use these backups of production SQL servers to restore development environments on a daily basis. The issue we are trying to resolve is that the NTFS shares become so fragmented, from deletion of old backup files and creation of new backup files, that some of the backup files have well over 30,000 file fragments. Backups and restores are taking longer and longer due to the file fragmentation. Periodic formats/degfragmentation of the LUNs are not an option as the shares are pretty much always in use for backups or restores.

The reason I am considering a Celerra, probably a NS-G2, is that we are about to purchase a lot of disk for a DMX4 and will have plenty of extra storage for this project.

So here is what I am thinking. Would the file system that the Celerra implements behind the NAS access layer create the same type of file fragmentation as NTFS file shares? Or would fragmentation not be an issue with the Celerra file system?

Thanks,

Aran

• 

284 Posts

August 18th, 2010 13:00

Hi Aran,

Celerra's filesystem is a journaled filesystem called UxFS.  There are two main types of data stored in a UxFS filesystem: data blocks, and metadata structures.  Within the metadata are things like the superblock, inode tables, information tables, and a cylinder group map.  The cylinder group map contains all of the free blocks that are not used for inodes, indirect address blocks or storage blocks.  The CG map also keeps track of any fragments to keep disk fragmentation from occurring.

Beneath the filesystem layer is the disk layer, containing RAID groups managed by the storage array, either Symmetrix or CLARiiON.  Both storage arrays run their own defrag programs to keep their RAID groups' fragmentation levels low.

Hope this helps

-bill

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 18th, 2010 14:00

Bill,

does uxfs get fragmented as much as NTFS does ?

2.2K Posts

August 19th, 2010 07:00

Peter,

Thanks for the thread reference. I think that answers my question, but I have a followup question based on your answer below from the refernced thread. You state that the fragmentation should remain constant except when the partition gets very full and there are lots of file creations deletions with extremely funny file sizes.

In our scenario that we are planning on implementing on the Celerra there would be deletion and creation of large amounts of files on a daily basis as this would be for a backup target for database backup files, and the backups are deleted everyday as new backups are written. The backup files range in size from 3GB to 83GB.

Does that fit the exception to the rule or should we still except a low constant fragmentation rate?

Peter Pilsl wrote:

Celerra does not have a builtin Defragmenter.

But why do you need to defragment Celerra data?

See knowledgebase emc70573:
"FFS tries to allocate 'logically close' blocks close. For instance, it allocates (if possible) regular file inodes in the same group as the directory holding them, and data blocks for a file in the same group as the file's inode. Alternatively, it allocates directory inodes on the less loaded group, and it forces the change of cylinder group at each megabyte of file size (to avoid fragmentation inside a cylinder group). The allocation uses geometry parameters to compute a ``closest block''.

So, there is a defrag process but, basically, you don't need to defrag since the file system code is 'tuned' to discourage fragmentation. You'll likely get a low fragmentation (2-5% of the files or so), but this will remain constant except when the partition gets very full and there are lots of file creations/deletions with extremely funny file sizes. From our experience with Celerra, EMC have yet to find a customer who has needed to defrag file systems to regain access performance."

No Events found!