Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2010 04:00

Celerra ndmp backup over ethernet

Hi Guys ,

Is it possible to take NDMP backup of  CIFS shares / File systems on Celera  over the Ethernet (IP).

One of the EMC enginner told me that its not possible , i need to use the AUX port and zone it with my Library and then only you can take the NDMP backup.

Is this true ??? NDMP backup happens over AUX port only and not over the IP or Ethernet or WAN .

I got my Library in different datacenter and i can not move it right now . What is the option for me ??

Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 28th, 2010 04:00

It’s possible using 3-way NDMP …search EMC support matrix for supported backup applications.

190 Posts

June 28th, 2010 07:00

I do this every day (NDMP over IP/also known as 3-way NDMP) - Symantec BackupExec 12

In the past when I was a consultant I set this up with Networker for one of my clients - you need a new EMC engineer

You'll definitely need an NDMP license for whatever backup software you are using - review the EMC docs from the previous post as well as the NDMP-specific docs for your backup software.

Dan

8.6K Posts

June 28th, 2010 08:00

yes its certainly possible and used quite frequently

the Celerra data mover then sends the NMDP backup stream over TCP/IP to a device that has a directly attached tape drive or library.

typically this is a backup server with the (sometimes) necessary license - most of the major backup applications have this implemented.

or a special device like Dinostor or a module for a Quantum tape library

In EMC terms this is called heterogenous 3-way NDMP - some others call it remote NDMP

Rainer

P.S.: this is *NOT* ISCSI to the tape

July 27th, 2010 06:00

Hi OnlySandy,

looks like the question is answered, could you mark it as Answered when you get a chance?  or if you have further questions please let us know.

thanks,

Kevin.

36 Posts

July 27th, 2010 07:00

hi

May I know which backup application you are using to back this?

8.6K Posts

July 27th, 2010 16:00

heterogeneous 3-way NDMP backup is supported with almost a dozen backup packages

Atempo, BackBone, CommVault, DinoStor, EMC Avamar, EMC Networker, IBM TSM, NEC Networker, Quantum, Symanted Backup Exec, Symantec NetBackup

details are in the NAS support matrix

Its at use at quite a number of customers

Rainer

No Events found!