Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2010 07:00

Defraging Raid Groups that contain Celerra LUNs

I'm getting mixed signals from EMC about this - I have several raid groups on which Celerra LUNs coexist with regular server LUNs.  I'm moving what I can around, but I'd really like to be able to defragment these raid groups using the Clariion tool to get the space contiguous.

I opened a ticket with EMC support, and they said that since it's a raid level operation it shouldn't be a problem, but gave me the impression that they didn't 100% understand the question.   An RTS told me that it can be done, but wouldn't advise it because of a big performance hit.

Anyone done this before?

59 Posts

June 1st, 2010 08:00

The CX based defrag could cause a performance impact if set to high priority.  If set to low there should be only very minimal impact and not noticable.  I don't recall doing this on Celerra used raid groups, but did this all the time on server used raid groups with no issues.  If concerned about performance, just set the priority to low.

Sagle

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 1st, 2010 11:00

YMMV ..i’ve worked in shops where jump in response time from 5ms to 20ms was generating phone calls to the help desk.

37 Posts

June 1st, 2010 11:00

I wouldn't worry too much about the "big performance hit". We defrag all the time and no user ever reported any performance issues and believe me they jump at this any time they can. I am willing to say that the defragging is not noticeable when performed with low or medium priority.

No Events found!