Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2009 08:00

Export a writable checkpoint of a replicated file system on the dest side?

My scenario is this, we are replicating a file system and it's VDM and have to do a DR test. I'd like to use a writable checkpoint of the destination file system as my "DR file system" to perform a few reads and writes.

Is it possible to create a CIFS share of a writable checkpoint which was created from a read-only destination file system? If so, what data mover do/can I export that to? I assume that since the replicated VDM is read-only I cannot export it to that.

Thanks,
Chris

81 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 12:00

Run \\dr-msfs01\c$

Thanks

96 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 13:00

\\dr-msfs01\c$ is not accessible.

96 Posts

February 10th, 2009 16:00

We'll I've figured out how to mount a r/w checkpoint on a different cifs server. That cifs server has to reside on the same vdm as the cifs server which the file system belongs to. This points me in this direction...

Create a new cifs server at the destination side on the vdm which the file system whose checkpoint I want to mount resides on. The only problem with that is since the VDM is also being replicated, it is currently unloaded and I cannot create a cifs server on it. Can I load a destination VDM?

February 12th, 2009 12:00

I need to do the same thins and opened a "question" SR with support - they came back and basically said the switch-over method was the only supported way to test CIFS for DR.

Come on EMC! Switch-over does impact production - I tried it using 2 Celerra VSAs. You guys need to publish a tech note on how to access CIFS files at the recovery side w/o impacting production or replicaion for that matter.

(IMNSHO)

February 26th, 2009 11:00

Have you made any more progress? I need to do the same thing and based on this thread and my own investigation this doesn't look easy if it's possible at all.

Thanks,
Jerry

96 Posts

February 26th, 2009 11:00

Unfortunately it appears it is impossible at the moment and I've given up. I submitted a product enhancement request and talked to my TC. The best I could do is get it up and running on the DR side only after stopping the VDM replication. This was about a 15 step process. However, when trying to roll back to normal I managed to cause the datamover to panic every time.

54 Posts

March 17th, 2009 09:00

Hey count me in on this - I'm trying to do something very similar.....

I'm replicating data from a Celerra in site 1 to a Celerra in site 2. We take checkpoints on a daily basis in site 1 and keep them on a rolling basis for 3 weeks. As we've been "rolling" for some time, the savvol has grown enormously in site 1 and I need to clear it down.

Unfortunately, I can't just delete all the checkpoints as they are my only backup history for Monday-Thursday. So I thought if I set up the same checkpoint schedule in site 2 on the replicated FS I'd be OK to delete the ckpts in site 1.

However I am trying to mount a test ckpt of a replicated FS in site 2 and failing miserably. I have no need for the ckpt to be read/write, so my requirements are slightly different to yours above. Have you managed to achieve this yet without crashing the DM?

March 17th, 2009 11:00

AGREED!!!!!! We need this exact same functionality as well. Opening an SR told us the same thing!

674 Posts

March 18th, 2009 09:00

However I am trying to mount a test ckpt of a
replicated FS in site 2 and failing miserably. I have
no need for the ckpt to be read/write, so my
requirements are slightly different to yours above.
Have you managed to achieve this yet without crashing
the DM?

Did you mount it to the physical Datamover not the VDM?

54 Posts

March 18th, 2009 09:00

I have actually tried both - the physical (server_2) and a VDM.
However, I was doing this in Celerra Manager rather than the CLI.

Regards

96 Posts

March 18th, 2009 11:00

Everyone needs to submit a product enhancement request for this issue. The more we scream, the more likely we'll get what we want.

March 19th, 2009 07:00

Point taken. I just came out of a DR meeting this morning; management asked me to try the same test this summer. I opened a web browser and showed them this thread. That DR test is now suspended!

674 Posts

May 24th, 2009 22:00

mistake

96 Posts

June 1st, 2009 13:00

What is a mistake?

96 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 05:00

@gbarretoxx

Very cool. This does indeed work! Are there any issues that I should watch out for considering this is somewhat of a hack/workaround?
No Events found!