Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2009 23:00

NS-G8 - Cannot enable Automatic File System Extension

As a newbie I am wondering why the automatic extension feature is so limit. I wish it would extend the disc by a given number of GBs instead by doubling it in a strange way. But beside this one I simply cannot enable it with my SRDFed Storage - but I can easily extend it on the webfrontend - I dont get it whats the difference between auto extend and manuall extend on the storage-side ?

What I get when I try to enable it: Operation not permitted. Automatic File System Extension on "fs1" requires local storage.

Full Description: A file system must be built on local storage to enable Automatic File System Extension, but this file system is currently built on remote mirrored storage.
Recommended Action: Modify the file system and disable the Automatic File System Extension feature on this file system.

Maybe I can place an Product Enhancement Request ?

Ingo

8.6K Posts

September 10th, 2009 02:00

Hi,

thats a restriction when using SRDF or Timefinder - in the manual it says:

Automatic File System Extension cannot be used for any file system that is part
of an SRDF configuration, that is, file systems on Data Movers configured with
an RDF standby. This includes TimeFinder®/FS NearCopy and FarCopy
implementations. Therefore, do not use the nas_fs command with the
auto_extend option for file systems associated with SRDF. Doing so generates
the error message: ¿Error 13421842457: operation not supported for file
systems of type SRDF.¿

I think thats because when working with SRDF the file systems are built on complete LUNs for consistency reasons so that one LUN is only used by one file system.
You'll see that when manually extending a SRDF file system it will actually extend it by a complete LUN (dvol, hyper)

In a non-SRDF file system the volume manager actually slices the LUNs and puts multiple file systems on it.
That slicing is also used for the granular and automatic file system extention.

You can certainly open an enhancement request for it

Rainer

8.6K Posts

September 10th, 2009 04:00

sorry - I mixed that up - its with TimeFinder (where a file system can be split) of that slicing is not used

however its still the case that automatic file system extention isnt supported with SRDF

19 Posts

September 10th, 2009 04:00

Hey Rainer,

Actually I am able to slice volumes. But once again - I am able to extend a volume manually. When I select slicing I can add 10 MB to the volume. Without slicing it adds something like 16,x GB.

What I would like to see is - when the volume reaches high watermark - please add 4x16GB to the volume and write me a brief note that you did so. ;)

Ingo
No Events found!