Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2009 06:00

System pool in NX4

Hello guys,

its really amazing to read all about my new toy :-)

I will need help with this:

I have to delete system created storage pools... but now I am without AVM...

I can create user storage pool but system no...

I delete all volumes, unbind all luns and start from begining but after succesfull rescan I can see volumes (luns) but no one storage pool...

I can create user but this one dont support AVM am I right?

How can I make system defined storage pools?

Thanks!

8.6K Posts

March 20th, 2009 08:00

dont delete system pools - once you delete the LUNs that are in them they will empty and disappear

If after properly creating your LUNs and doing a rescan they dont show up in the corresponding system pool please open a service request

9 Posts

March 20th, 2009 07:00

OK... I know that, but...

When I created new raid group on clariion as R10 with two luns...

After rescan NX4 created new storage pool clarsas_r10 (i cant remember)

but after I have to delete those storage pools (system created) and start from begining after rescan there are no storage pools :-( even when I use same raid/lun config...

139 Posts

March 20th, 2009 07:00

System defined pools get created by themselves when they see a supported lun configuration. For example if you had some fibre channel drives and made them into a R5 (8+1) config, a new system defined pool would show up as clar_r5_economy.

There are some default volumes that the Celerra puts it's OS on, and those will still show up even after you have deleted all user created luns.

1.5K Posts

March 20th, 2009 09:00

At this point, the option is to contact EMC Support and they 'll recreate the system pools for you. As Rainer had already mentioned, please do not delete any system defined pool - if you want to re-configure the storage - simply delete the disks on Celerra so that the pool size becomes zero and then you 'll not see the pool. But pool definition is not deleted, so next time when you configure the disks again, appropriate pools can be automatically used. Now, since you have deleted the pool definition, it needs to be recreated by Support.

Thanks,
Sandip

139 Posts

March 20th, 2009 09:00

A list of what volumes you are seeing would be helpful. log in to the Celerra control station via an SSH client like putty using you nasadmin username and password. Run the following command:

nas_disk -l

This will give you an output of your volumes.

9 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 01:00

Yes thanks guys ;-)

I know commands etc...

but you know I would like to do new layout of luns, but I cant remove volumes (disks) from pools... so I delete pools and then I can delete volumes...

Is somewhere described description how to remove disks (volumes) from pools?

Because I cant delete them from GUI and in CL too... :-(
They was been used by storage pool, but no where else...

That was the problem because I need to delete pools...

8.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 06:00

please look at the AVM and MVM manuals

In general deleting pools wont help you much.

In fact you shouldnt delete a system pool - only user defined pools.

What you do in order to change the backend layout:
- check that these LUNs arent used by the Celerra any longer
- check again
- delete all the volumes that are on the LUNs using nas_volume
- remove the LUNs from the Celerra storagegroup
- unbind the LUNs

9 Posts

March 24th, 2009 01:00

Thanks Rainer

I never seen this before, you know the right order...

But what I have to do when this step: - remove the LUNs from the Celerra storagegroup
isnt possible because they are used by storage pool and I cant remove them?

Because that was the problem why I delete system pools... (cry)

Thanks

PS: Another one problem appear when I would like to configure NW with Celerra (NDMP) it wrote NAS_DB environment not defined, can I fix that somehow?

Is there some utility to repair (recover) Celerra or I have to reinstall DART...

Thanks!

zewl23

Message was edited by:
zewl23

9 Posts

March 24th, 2009 04:00

OK ok... its defined now ;-)

but lest look back...

please look at the AVM and MVM manuals

In general deleting pools wont help you much.

In fact you shouldnt delete a system pool - only user defined pools.

What you do in order to change the backend layout:
- check that these LUNs arent used by the Celerra any longer
- check again
- delete all the volumes that are on the LUNs using nas_volume
- remove the LUNs from the Celerra storagegroup
- unbind the LUNs

What I have to do when I cant remove disk(volume) from storage pool?

I would like to reset layout on backend but I want to do it on celerra first, then on clariion... So all what was in storage pool wasnt used (i checked thi not only once) but when i would like to remove disk(volume) from celerra it wrote that this disk(volume) is used by storage pool... so only the last think what i have on mind was to delete storage pools and then delete disks(volumes) from celerra, then set up new layout on clariion and then rescan celerra... but my mistake was, that the system defined storage pools will be recreated after succesfull rescan... :-( (cry)

Today I go to EMC and I will discuss this...

BUT if there is some possibitlity to define system pool please let me know...

IF is it about some restore or repair of somethink just let me know...

THANKS!

674 Posts

March 24th, 2009 04:00

Deleting a storage pool on the Control Station does not free up storage or delete a LUN.
But when you are doing this, you will no longer be able to extend or create a FS which resides on LUNS of this pool.

PS: Another one problem appear when I would like to configure NW with Celerra (NDMP) it wrote NAS_DB environment not defined, can I fix that somehow?

This is a error message, when you are not using nasadmin as login but maybe root or another user. You can fix this by defining the environment, by login in as nasadmin.

Reinstalling DART will not solve this issue

2 Posts

April 26th, 2010 20:00

Please refer to solution id emc193854.

System defined storage pools are created automaticall based on the profile of the device configurations.  How devices are selected into the defined storage pool are defined in AVM documentation.  But the document does not say about creating/deleting system defined storage pools.  The above listed document has procedure on how to upgrade internal AVM tables, and also on how to delete system defined storage pools.

No Events found!