Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2010 11:00

Unable to create file larger than 4Gb from A CIFS Client

Dear all,

I have a Celerra NS120 that i have configured for linux/Solaris clients , all is working very well, except One Windows 2003 client that's trying  to copy files on a CIFS share , The files greater than 4Gb are not copied ... Even though  I've set  the CIFS share parameter "ACCES CHECK POLICY" to NT .

Can anyone could give me some advices , or how could i fix this issue ? Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

117 Posts

April 5th, 2010 21:00

Ah, nevermind - I see your "Security mode" is set to NT, so that rules out SHARE mode.

• 

285 Posts

April 3rd, 2010 20:00

What happens when you try to copy files larger than 4GB?  Does it go all the way to 4GB and then stop?  Or does it even start copying the file?

Do you have any quotas enabled?

8 Posts

April 4th, 2010 05:00

Dear William Stein,

I have'nt ENABLED quota (It should be the cause of my problem ) . Someone was trying to copy files on the CIF share from windows 2003 client, all  files are copied  except those who are  greather then 4 Gb .  To confirm this i try to do it myself, I start copying  a file (of 5Gb size) from the CS (control station) to the CIFS share  (with the command  server_file ), the copy never starts

[nasadmin@cs-ns120]$ server_file server_2 -put  file_of_5Gb_size    /mydisk/
server_2 :
Error 4402: server_2 :: no such file file_of_5Gb_size

and these are my parameters:

Security mode = NT
Max protocol = NT1
I18N mode = UNICODE
Home Directory Shares DISABLED
Usermapper auto broadcast enabled

Best regards

8.6K Posts

April 5th, 2010 14:00

server_file isnt a good test

It doesnt use CIFS and I'm not sure if it was ever programmed to transfer such large files

you need to use a Windows client

I would suggest to

• open a service request
  • copy a file and not the error message
  • take a tcpdump at the time it fails
  • also look at the data mover log (server_log server_2)

Rainer

117 Posts

April 5th, 2010 21:00

Yes, it's definitely a strange problem.  Do you only have this problem with this one Win2k3 client?  Do other CIFS clients work okay?

In general there shouldn't be any problems working with 2GB+ or 4GB+ files on Celerra over NFS or CIFS. The exception is if you have CIFS configured in SHARE security mode (configured to behave like an old Windows 95 or Windows for Workgroups server) - n that case filesizes are capped at 4GB due to limitations of the CIFS dialect that's used.  There are a number of other very significant restrictions as well, and generally "Standalone" CIFS mode, which is tremendously better, is used instead of "SHARE" security mode.  It's pretty rare to see anyone using this mode, and we strongly discourage it (there are some specific situations where it's needed, but 99.9% of the time "Standalone" is better).

Instead, when we hear about problems like this it typically turns out to be a problem with a very old Windows client or application with a typical 31- or 32-bit integer problem, but problems like that are pretty rare these days as well.  Definitely not something you hear about when just dragging and dropping files with a Windows 2003 client.

If you DO have CIFS set to "SHARE" security mode, then this is a known restriction - but I'll bet there's a better way to configure CIFS on your system.

If not, and you're 1) Not seeing this with other CIFS servers (like some other Windows system in your environment), and 2) it's not only happening with some specific application you're using (or even if you are), then I agree with Rainer - probably best to open a ticket and start digging into it more closely.

8 Posts

July 15th, 2010 14:00

I created again another  filesystem and the CIFS server that shares it, And now the "Windows 2003 server" can read and write files larger than 4GB . It was obviousely simple.( But I could'nt explain a couple of weeks ago, that "windows 2003"'s  behavior the last time, that i could'nt create files larger than 4GB. )

I think that was probably a bug on the client side not on the EMC side.  Thanks a lot for all who responded so quickly. The steps for creating a CIFS share are very well explained in the EMC doc, and all works perfectly !!

July 9th, 2014 17:00

If one file system is used both CIFS and NFS, and CIFS "Seccurity mode" is "SHARE" , can the NFS Client create larger than 4GB file?

July 9th, 2014 20:00

I checked at my test environment.

One filesystem used by both CIFS and NFS, and CIFS "Security mode" is "SHARE", NFS Client can create larger than 4GB.

8.6K Posts

July 10th, 2014 00:00

Sure - that only govers the SMB version

The old LanManager version there doesn't support files larger

File system doesn't change

Of course if you drop the NFS version to NFSv2 then you would have a problem creating files larger than 2GB

I would suggest to move away from share security - it's ancient and VNXe 3200 / future VNX won't implement it

Rainer

No Events found!