Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2010 09:00

Unused Disks in Celerra Disk Tray after CSA Configure

Hi,

Im fairly new to Celerra. I recently had EMC install the system but I wanted to configure the storage myself.

I have a tray of FC and a tray of SATA disks.

The FC tray has the first 6 disks for the Celerra OS etc leaving me with 9 unused disks.

I used the CSA to get on and configure the tray to give me a clar5_performance setup.

This worked fine. I also configured the SATA tray as raid 6 without any issues.

My question is though, i now have 4 unused disks in the FC tray but i cannot seem to do anything with. I tried restarting the CSA to configure unused storage but it's as if it doesn't recognise that i have 4 unused disks. Is there another way to get the system to recognise these or configure it via the CLI?

Surely i should be able to do something with these disks?

Thanks,

D.T.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 8th, 2010 16:00

Have you tried to use Storage provisioning wizard ? What model is your Celerra ?

674 Posts

March 8th, 2010 23:00

You are speaking of a NS-System, not an NX4.

If you want to use RAID5 or Raid6, then the minimum number of disk you need to configure a Raidgroup is 4+1

In your case, if it is the System shelf, this means, there is already a 4+1 HS (6 disks used) and 9 disks left. One of the ways to use all 9 disks is a Raid5 (8+1) aka clar5_economy.

6 Posts

March 10th, 2010 01:00

Thanks guys. I had been unable to use the wizards as nothing happened when i launched them. I changed my java version and then they started to work.

I played around with the options in the provisioning wizard and i am now able to use all the disks in different raid configs.

8.6K Posts

March 15th, 2010 16:00

glad it worked

for the benefit of others - can you tell which Java version worked and which didnt ?

Rainer

6 Posts

March 16th, 2010 02:00

Hi Rainer,

I had updated from JRE 6 ver 17 to JRE 6u18. None of the wizards worked after this.

I uninstalled java completely and I downloaded and installed JRE 6 version 11 (jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe) and it all started to work without any issues.

DT

8.6K Posts

March 16th, 2010 04:00

thanks

Rainer

No Events found!