Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2009 13:00

celerra with DMX 4 backend

Hi

can anyone please tell me where can i find some uesful documents regarding configuring celerra with DMX 4 backend.

1.5K Posts

April 1st, 2009 14:00

Hi Vimad,

Welcome to the EMC support Forums.

You may find some useful information about the topic from some older Threads in this forum - such as

http://forums.emc.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=607629򔖍
http://forums.emc.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=603554򓖢
http://forums.emc.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=594836򑎔

If you still need more details or have any specific question or query, please feel free to revert back. Also, you may try getting in touch with your local EMC TC or Technical person who can help you out.

Thanks,
Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 1st, 2009 15:00

why is Clariion connectivity has been very well documented but there are no documents for DMX ?

674 Posts

April 1st, 2009 23:00

I think the reason for this is historical.
The configuration of Symms for Celerra in most cases is done by the EMC config guys.

Documents for configuring Symmetrix are on the internal SSR webpage.

The document you are referring to is called CONFIGURING SYMMETRIX FOR CELERRA FILE SERVER (V10.1)

For Clariion it is the other way round, the config is not done by the EMC config group ...

Regards
Peter

674 Posts

April 2nd, 2009 05:00

I do not know

Sorry
Peter

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 05:00

Peter,

i take it that document can not be shared with customers ?

26 Posts

April 2nd, 2009 06:00

Vimad,

I don't have an official EMC document but I do have the config steps that we used to put our NSX cabinets on DMX-3's. This may differ for DMX-4.

Here is what I have, I would validate with you EMC² support team.

1. For all Celerra volumes set the volume host type as follows;
5265 and above: SERVER_CELERRA (S) This is CELERRA_FBA emulation.

2. If you have a mixed host environment or are planning for a mixed environment in the future, set the FBA Host as MIX. Toggle the volume settings to CELERRA_FBA (S) for all Celerra volumes.

3. Set FBA Multi-Access? to YES

4. Control Volumes
¿ 2 x 12394 cylinder volumes as target and lun 00 and 01.
¿ 4 x 2216 cylinder volumes as target and lun 02 through 05. (I think there should one for each data mover, not necessarily 4)
¿ 1 x 2 cylinder volume as target 0F this is the gatekeeper device. Set the AS400 bit to this device.
¿ If using VCM assign cylinder size as defined by Symmetrix Volume Logix config rules as target 0E

5. Data volumes must be mapped to the Celerra starting at target and lun 10 and should not be configured with a odd number of cylinders.

DMX Port FLAGs for the FA's should be:

Fibre Flags: H, PP and UWN should be set (Disable VCM)
SCSI Flags: T, L, Y, W and ARB should be set

You may also want to check out the document "Celerra Network Server 5.5 Best Practices for Performance" which has several recomendations for the layout of the data volumes.

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 06:00

Also - to add on the same tone that Peter mentioned - typically we have more Celerra installed with CLARiiON than with Symm . And for Symm definitely EMC team is engaged who can guide and design accordingly.

The internal document that Peter mentioned is a small document, mainly focusing on the rules and guidelines on volume configuration. I 'll assume it is an EMC internal document - but you may check with your local team.

Except the backend configuration - all existing Celerra documents are applicable for any Celerra connected to DMX.

However, I'll try to check internally whether there is any plan to make DMX related document available on Powerlink.

Thanks,
Sandip
No Events found!