Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2012 04:00

migrate data from NFS to CIFS include secuitry configuration and creat mixed file system

dear s

kindly I would like to consult you about procedure

1- how we can create export file system from Unisphere  and make this shared file system accessible  from UNIX users and windows users at the same time (( NATIVE )). actually I need the procedure to do this step by step include mapping users on active directory . and what I have to do on DM Linux level please

2- is there any way to copy data from Unix file system  to CIFS and keep the security   configurations

please if you did this before or if you have scoop of work for such procedure

please I need them

because we have old Solaris server  has shared file systems  and these shared file systems  accessible from both users Unix and window (( using samba ))

now we need to migrate these data to CIFS and NFS and MIXED  export file systems

so i need advice how can i

1- create mixed file system include mapping users step by step

2- how can i migrate data from NFS to CIFS include security configuration

thanks alot

beast regards

Hussam

8.6K Posts

October 18th, 2012 12:00

Hi,

thats not a simple procedure.

You need to first make some decisions which access policy and user mapping options best fit your environment.

To do that I suggest to look at at least the Celerra/VNX user mapping and the Celerra/VNX CIFS multi-protocol manuals.

Easiest way is to download the complete Celerra/VNX file manual set

Latest for VNX 7.1 is https://download.emc.com/downloads/DL42143_VNX_Series_Documentation_7.1.zip

Celerra 6.x set can be found on Powerlink

Rainer

12 Posts

October 19th, 2012 02:00

thank you for you replay

i know this not easy but can you pls

just tell me step by step how can make simpl mapping becuase i got lost in EMC doc

and step by step how can creat multiprotcol export file system

just i need someone can lead me  from where i can start to do such configuration

EMC doc make me lose so much

for now just i want to know how can i make user mapping  simple configuration

and how can creat export file system as multiprotocole

pls advice

1.2K Posts

October 19th, 2012 06:00

Hussam, as Rainer said, it is not a simple process to configure multiprotocol access.  But, you can start with some simple questions that may help you narrow down your choices.

First, let's figure out what mapping you have in the environment today.  Do you have any environment-wide mapping for UNIX-to-Windows mappings today?  That is, are you using NIS or LDAP in your environment today?  I presume the answer is "No", but I'll ask anyway.

Second, how were you mapping Windows users the SAMBA share on your Solaris server before?  I assume that it was running SAMBA and connected to your AD domain, and you were mapping Domain Users to the shares there.

Next, how are UNIX UIDs assigned in the Solaris password file today?  Are they unique?  Do you intend to just use the existing UIDs and move them over?  Are there other UNIX systems in the environment where users might have different UIDs?  (that is, on Linux Server B, user joex might have UID 1122, while on the Solaris server A, user joex might have UID 120)

Based on these answers, we can probably help point you at the right documentation, so that you can narrow down the questions you need to answer.  Making a multiprotocol share is as simple as just exporting the same directory via CIFS and NFS; it's handling the user mapping configure that's the hard part - that's why there's no simple step-by-step answer.  You must fully understand the ramifications of the choices you make, because you might already be "stuck" with using one mapping method over another.

12 Posts

October 20th, 2012 11:00

Dear Karl

first of all i really need your help and i want you to be  patient during this help because i am alone in this  case and i really need  good celerra man to let me pass this case

the scenario is

in our data center we have clariion cx4-120 and we have Solaris servers and windows server

we added  8 LUNS  ((block)) to one of these Solaris servers (( hostname is NOVA )) and then we create 8 files systems  from theses LUNS and then we make these file systems shared (( NFS ))

then we put all data on theses  file systems  so (( now NOVA is file server for us ))

then  we need windows servers to see and be able to use these data on theses shred file systems

so we installed (( SAMBA )) to and we create on this Solaris host users and groups and configure ACL on Solaris to make security configuration for these files and directory

after sometimes we start to face huge performance issues i think this realted to SAMBA

so our manger add celerra to the clariion cabinet and what we are going to do is

1- create normal simple NFS export file systems and migrate the Unix data on these new NFS

2- create normal simple CIFS export file system

but we faced the following

1- how we can migrate data include the security configuration

2-some data shared between UNIX users and windows users  so how we can create multiprotocol export file system

for problem number one we are going to use EMCOPY  throw SAMBA to copy windows data on windows client using EMCOPY and we don't know yet if will work

1. emcopy.exe /o /s /sd

for  Unix data we will use this command and i don't know if will give good result

cd /data1

tar cvfBp - .  | ( cd /data2 ; tar xvfBp - )

this will take data from /data1  to /data2

for problem number two we must create multiprotocol  export file system (( NAVI ))

and i have no idea how can i create this  because i don't if i create export CIFS can i mount this in UNIX host ?

and i have no idea how can't make any simple user mapping

now the answers for you questions

1-  we have in our environment for Solaris hosts NIS and for windows hosts we have active directory  and if you need more info about this point i will ask the AD administrator

by the way (( NOVA )) is the NIS server

but on this new celerra there is no mapping at all

2-  you assuming is right the all windows users which access the data on SAMBA server mapping on AD

on this NOVA server we have 16 groups and users and ACL configuration (( the security configurations ))

i need training name that EMC provide to give such information to configure such case

i hope if you have time to help in this case i will be so grateful  and

i can send you any output you want and even we can chat directly

thank you for your help

best regards

Hussam

12 Posts

October 21st, 2012 07:00

i think if i have this doc this will help me

Celerra Multi-Protocol File Sharing Concepts – Self Study

or pls check this link if y ou have the lab guide for this course or student guide will help me fpr sure

http://hk.emc.com/support-training/training/customer-training-offerings/nas-mgmt.htm#

please if you one of these docs pls share with me i think this will help

now i spend my time readin the unisphere help doc and another EMC doc i will do my best

thank you in advance

1.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 08:00

I don't have access to that document - that course seems to cover all of the topics you need.

To copy multiprotocol data from one server to another, you need to use two tools - one to copy Windows/CIFS permissions (EMCOPY) and one to copy UNIX/NFS ACLs.  rsync is preferable to tar, as it will be considerable faster and make it easier to check that UNIX ACLs are the same on both sides.  In most cases, the process is 1) copy all data from source to destination with RSYNC; 2) copy all CIFS permissions (not data, just permissions) with EMCOPY /RestoreSD (which copies just permissions).

The best option might be to create a temporary test share on the Celerra - to get a feel for the processes/procedures - then review the permissions.

No Events found!