Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

EL

April 24th, 2018 08:00

02R3X the same part number for Equallogic and compellent

Hi,

I have Compellent Storage and i need to replace a bad HD, part number 02R3X. I'm trying to buy the disk but the same part number appears for Equallogic and Compellent disk. How can i assure that i will have the correct disk for the Compellent if the same P/N is for both Equallogic and Compellent storage?

Is there some kind of firmware configuration that prevents the HDD to work in a storage and not work in the other storage?

There is a specific and different part number other than 02R3X for the compellent sorage?

Thank You

Enio Liu

• 

7.1K Posts

April 24th, 2018 09:00

Hello Enio Liu,

With an Equallogic & Compellent systems the hard drives have different firmware on them so that the drive will only work in that system & not the other system.  The best way to ensure that you have the correct drive is to purchase the drive from Dell or a Dell authorized reseller.  It is very hard to use the Dell Part# and get the correct drive for your storage device based solely on Dell part#. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2018 14:00

Hi Sam, 

Thank you for the informations. Two more questions:

1) Is there a document with a compatibility matrix with the information of firmwares for each storage?

2) Is there another code of part number that specify the correct disc? In the label of the disk I found this other part number: 9FN066-058

Best regards

Enio Liu

6 Posts

April 25th, 2018 11:00

Hello Sam, 

No more questions. Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Enio Liu

• 

7.1K Posts

April 25th, 2018 11:00

Hello Enio Liu,

Here is a link to the support matrix for Dell storage systems.  http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/dtcmedia/m/mediagallery/20438558

No there is not another part# that will tell which drive is for a Compellent or an Equallogic.  I have had a few customers that have tried to get replacement drives using the SKU# and Dell Part# on the drives and it is not consist that they will get the correct drive. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

230 Posts

April 29th, 2018 16:00

Hello Enio,
I know Sam answered your questions, but I have a question for you. What model of Enclosure are you looking to put these disks in to?
I ask because Compellent has had different Enclosure Manufacturers and the disk firmware is different depending on the brand of Enclosure.

Model                 Enclosure    Disk model                                               Firmware
ST3600057SS - XYRATEX   Cheetah 15K.7 Eagle HDD 15K 600 GB XREC OR XRED
ST3600057SS - Dell              Cheetah 15K.7 Eagle HDD 15K 600 GB EE08

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 07:00

Hi Bob, 

My Encolsure is a SC40. Do you have a list with the information of firmware x enclosure?

Best regards

Enio Liu

230 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 15:00

You say your Enclosure is an SC40, but there is no such model. Here is what you may have.

Legacy Enclosure Models approaching End of Life in August 2018. The disks for these Enclosures are no longer sold
EN-SAS6-1235 - 12 bay 3.5 inch disks
EN-SAS6-2425 - 24 Bay 2.5 inch disks

Both of these Enclosures will use the Xratex Enclosure disk
Model                 Enclosure    Disk model                                              Firmware
ST3600057SS - XYRATEX   Cheetah 15K.7 Eagle HDD 15K 600 GB XREC OR XRED

Dell Enclosure which you can still buy disks for, but cannot use them in the Legacy Enclosure
SC200 6GB Enclosure - 12 bay 3.5 inch disks
SC220 6GB Enclosure - 24 Bay 2.5 inch disks

SC4020 which is a controller with a 24 bay built in Enclosure
These Enclosures will use the Dell disk

Model         Enclosure  Disk model                                                  Firmware
ST3600057SS - Dell       Cheetah 15K.7 Eagle HDD 15K 600 GB EE08

1 Message

October 1st, 2018 12:00

Bob, is this information in a matrix somewhere? 

230 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 08:00

There is not one on the support side. When we send disks the part numbers are from the replacement stock which is not the same part numbers as the new stock for sales. I had looked up his disk information via Google.

No Events found!