Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 6th, 2016 12:00

CITV problems configuring VASA provider

I'm trying to set up the VASA provider on the CITV appliance (i've tried 3.0 and 3.1), and after setting the VASA provider password it immediately reports back "Could not obtain server certificate". I don't know where to go from here because that error provides nothing to go on. Is it my vSphere certificate? The Dell Storage Manager certificate? Something else entirely?

The documentation is frustratingly vague, where it says I need the IP of the Entrprise Manager Data Collector but the user/pass for Enteprise Manager and specifies that I need to enter a VASA provider user but not where that user is supposed to be (vCenter? Enterprise Manager? The *** CITV appliance?) or if it is supposed to create it on its own, which maybe? Why else would I need to verify my password there but not in the beginning when I enter my vSphere credentials?

To be on the safe side, i've created users in both the Enterprise Manager, the Enterprise Manager Data Collector, and vSphere but that doesn't seem to help. No firewalls are on either and the appliance is on the same network as the rest of the system. I also have no problems setting up the RMSV and that prompts me to accept certificates and works fine.

3 Posts

December 7th, 2016 10:00

The VASA user is created by you during the configuration of VASA on the appliance.  Then after configuring VASA, restart the VASA provider from the main menu (option 10).  After that, you'll register the vasa provider in the vsphere client.  This is where the vasa username and password you created will be used.  Once the info is entered, trust the certificate for the vasa host when prompted and that should be it.  

If you primarily use the web client, you should try CITV 4.0. if your Storage Center, Enterprise Manager, and VMware meet the requirements.  It is 6.5+ for Storage Center, 2015 R3 for Enterprise Manager, 5.5 for ESXi and Vcenter Web Client, and FluidFS 4.0.100714 if applicable.  Look for Dell Storage Compellent Integration Tools v4.0 for VMware Availability Notice in the Software Downloads section of the knowledge base.  I don't think you'll have access to the plugin from the desktop client with this version.  

16 Posts

December 7th, 2016 10:00

Ok thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot. I am using SCOS 7.1 with Storage Manager 2016 R2 on vSphere 6.0. I noticed that registering the vCenter with Storage Manager yesterday that it registered its own VASA provider in my vSphere system. Does that mean I don't need the CITV appliance at all then? My end goal is to set up VVOL

No Events found!