Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2016 14:00

Compellent Storage Center 5.5 Ghost drives

Hey guys, I have a customer that had a failed drive and decided to replace it himself. Not sure exactly how he decided to replace it, or whether he properly did it, but after he did it, the failed drive was still showing up with "user allocated data" still present. whats odd is that, the faulted drive is giving a location of "??-00". There is no way do delete it through the GUI due to it showing up as still having user data (should be at 0 for us to remove it). When the drive failed, the spare kicked in just fine and we were able to configure the replacement as the spare. My question is, is there a way I can forcefully remove that ?? drive either through the GUI or through the CLI? I've never used the CLI so i was a little hesitance to try that at this point in time. Any information will be useful.

Thanks Guys!

26 Posts

January 19th, 2016 06:00

Probably the wrong type of drive - I've run into that with encrypted drives and the system isn't configured (firmware version) for encrypted drives.

You have to have specific drives and if the firmware doesn't match what the system is expecting it won't recognize it. My bet is this is the issue, which is why it shows up at ??-00. Also it's never updated the metadata on the drive because it's as if it was completely lost, so the data hasn't been updated on the GUI which is why it shows user allocated data on there (really isn't there).

Get a drive from CoPilot, unless the system is out of warranty it's free to get from CoPilot and the process is painless. They will also proactively fail the drive is possible meaning all data will be striped off the drive and onto a hot spare, ensuring there is no data loss.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2019 23:00

Does anybody have an answer to this? We have the same problem for an SC040 where the disk did not evacuate the with "user allocated data" still present even after waiting for it to finish after a month.  Data NEVER got evacuated.  User replaced the failed HDD with new one.  Now has 2x drives in Storage Manager GUI with locations of 6-11.  The new one did not become spare and just integrated with with "user allocated data" now present on the disk.  We tried to release and create a folder to vacated the data but it never finishes stating that there is a rebuild going on and its waiting for it to finish rebuilding.  BTW, the SC040 has no more spare drives.  Any way to fix this?

230 Posts

July 24th, 2019 18:00

Hello ITWOLF,

When you look at both disks do both show as up, or does one disk have a red x?

When you select both disks do they both show as having User Allocated Blocks, or does only one have data?

It sounds like the user pulled the bad disk before it completed the Raid Rebuild process, and now the system is waiting for the original disk to be put back in to complete. 

No Events found!