Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2013 07:00

I need help, doubts about controlling compellent SC8000

I'm reading the specification on datasheet of the equipment sc8000.
This writing he has 32 ​​and 64GB cache per controller. This memory is using SSD? or is the same controller?
The cache is used only for data operation and control features or has operating system overhead?
thks

685 Posts

August 8th, 2013 13:00

The Cache on these systems holds all of the needed data and files for the system to operate including the OS for the storage controller. When you mentioned about the cache per controller are you referring to the memory? Please let me know so I can provide you with the correct info.

118 Posts

August 8th, 2013 14:00

Compellent controllers have read and write cache - which is used as part of the SAN functionality, and nonvolatile flash card (disk) which contains the operating system and boot partition.

The main RAM of the server (16GB or 64GB per controller) is used for the operating system, its overhead, and READ cache. Note that up until recently, Compellent systems never needed more than 6GB per controller - the additional memory per controller just addresses the needs required by ever larger disk systems.

Write cache is done through a PCIe card in each controller and provides resilience against power failure and other conditions where the change must be saved until committed.

No Events found!