Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SS

79 Posts

January 24th, 2019 14:00

SC120 connection and new disc space

Hello,

can I make an SC120 connection without needing to shutdown my compellent or can it be done hot?

do I have to do some procedure to add the SC120 in my compellent pool space?

the disks I'll add will be added to the pool space (free) just as it works in equallogic?

Thank you.

29 Posts

January 25th, 2019 08:00

Hello Sandro, 

You can add the enclosure hot, once it is in the rack and has power power it up and let the disk spin up for a few minutes before cabling it up. Use the cabling reference here: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/storage-sc2000_deployment-guide_en-us.pdf .  Once it is connected you should see the additional disks, if not in the "storage" tab right click on disks and "scan for disk", then right click disks again and "re-balance RAID" re-balancing is imprtant to distribute the data across all disks. 

February 26th, 2019 20:00

I knew from an information that in the SCv2020 when we connected a SC120 with new disks the re-balance RAID happens automatically. That's true?

February 26th, 2019 20:00

Can I have performance loss problem during this re-balance RAID process?

29 Posts

February 27th, 2019 04:00

Hi Sandro, 

The re-balance should happen automatically, if not just use the steps mentioned above to kick it off.  The performance impact is minimal as a re-balance is a low priority process.  You can also check the IO on your disks in the IO Usage or Charting tab in DSM and click on your disks> (7k,10k, etc.) > click on one of the disks and see how many IO/Sec they are doing at the busiest times of your work day, and if you are not over driving them you should be fine, a 7k should be able to sustain ~85 IOPs, so if you have 7k disks and are not close to this during your peak times go ahead and start the re-balance. 

29 Posts

February 27th, 2019 05:00

1- Put SC120 in the rack

2- Add the disks

3-turn on the expansion enclosure (the disks need to spin up for a couple minutes)

4- Cable the SC120 to the SCv2020

5- The array should detect the new disks and re-balance automatically, if not use the steps to scan for the disks and then re-balance the RAID.

29 Posts

The re-balance should start automatically after it is cabled up and the disks are recognized, so if you do not want this to happen during the workday follow the same steps, just wait to follow steps 4 and 5 until after work hours.

1- Put SC120 in the rack

2- Add the disks

3-turn on the expansion enclosure (the disks need to spin up for a couple minutes)

------wait until the end of the workday-------

4- Cable the SC120 to the SCv2020

5- The array should detect the new disks and re-balance automatically, if not use the steps to scan for the disks and then re-balance the RAID.

Hi

Sorry for my difficulty understanding the process.

I want to prevent it from using re-balance automatically, right.

So you tell me that I have to run the disk search procedure before the SCv2020 automatically starts the process?

Or will it only start after I run the disk search procedure?

I want to prevent it from starting re-balance automatically, to avoid performance problems during the day. I want to start re-balance automatically after business hours.

Thank you.

Hello, excuse me. Now I was confused. What is the correct scenario for implementation? 1 - I place the SC120 in the rack; 2 - I put the disks in the SC120; 3 - I connect the SAS cables of the SC120 with the SVc2020; 4 - I turn the power on the SC120; From that moment on will the re-balance begin or not? Or will it only resume after I perform the steps you mentioned above? Thank you.

February 27th, 2019 06:00

Hi,

summing up...

so I understand if when I connect the SC120, it will occur automatically, so I must wait for a better time.

When you say, "If you do not use the steps to scan for the disks and then re-balance the RAID," I mean,

"... if it does not occur automatically, use the steps to scan for the disks and then re-balance the RAID.

I have read that some Compellent models this reballanced process only occurs when we determine.

Does the SCv2020 automatically do it a particularity of this model that does not provide this control?

Or is it a firmware version issue?

Thank you.

No Events found!